Greetings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpookiusMortem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I am new to this forum and aquariums in general. I am hoping this site will be an invaluable resource on they journey I am about to embark on. That journey is, of course, to put together a marine aquarium.

As yet, I know next to nothing about building/stocking/maintaining saltwater aquariums. I had a fresh water aquarium a long time ago which I had a lot of success with, but this time I'd like to get my feet wet (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) with a saltwater environment. Ultimately, I'd like to have a system with both fish and coral/live rock.

So, all that said, if anyone can point to a good online 'getting started' resource, any recommended books, and/or a recommended fish & aquarium supply store in the Seattle area, I would be greatly thankful.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to AA!!! :) :)

Start with our articles section on getting started and cycling a SW tank in order to ask better questions. We just LOVE those who do some of their homework in advance - as opposed to asking very basic questions without attempting to do any reading on their own.

Do not buy anything yet until you understand more. We'll help with those purchase decisions also. I'd love to see you start with nothing smaller than a 50g tank since more water is more forgiving to newby mistakes that can occur.

I always liked to recommend Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" for a starter book. Kinda old. Just ignore the part about cycling with fish. Read our articles section instead on that.

Good luck and take it slow. You'll be glad you did, believe me.

Welcome to AA! Great advice there from austinsdad. There is a newly revised version of Bob Fenner's book out though. :)

Welcome to the site!

I'm a freshwater guy myself but it sounds like they gave you a starting point. You are in good hands.. just take a look at some of the tanks these guys, and gals, have set up. It is simply astounding! Some day I will take the plunge into saltwater...some day. LOL.

Thanks for all the great replies. About that book 'The Conscientious Marine Aquarist', I see the new edition on Amazon for about $44, but the 1997 edition is available for about $5. Is the newer edition worth the extra money?

Also, I see this book; 'The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide' highly rated on Amazon. Any thoughts on if this is a good resource as well?

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom