Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are links on here which will tell you how to do fish in cycling rather than getting rid of them. It's a matter for you

Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops just re read the stocking it doesn't look like they are suitable for your tank

Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag It
Trust me, I do now!
Sadly a little late for my froggy...
I'm even considering taking my current 3 fish back and doing a month cycle of the tank before putting any in...
Or is that too radical??
That is exactly what I would do. It would make things a lot easier for you.
As far as people telling you a fish will only grow as big as its home is "true". The fishes body will not out grow its tank, but internal organs continue to grow, leading to a slow painful death.
Always keep in mind, most sales people will tell you what you need to hear to buy a fish. They aren't really in it for the animals.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks, this info is a lot of help!
I suppose I should bite the bullet and return them sad times..
I'm so attached to my BGKF though, I really wish I had a bigger tank for him but money is unfortunately an issue.. Sigh..
He is currently roughly 2.5" in length, how big can he grow in a 30l (8 gallon) tank? Not that I'm considering keeping him, I couldn't put my fish through that knowing it will kill them! A bit annoyed I was even sold these fish for my tank only 2 days after having bought the tank from the same store.. oh well..
Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyeller89

That is exactly what I would do. It would make things a lot easier for you.
As far as people telling you a fish will only grow as big as its home is "true". The fishes body will not out grow its tank, but internal organs continue to grow, leading to a slow painful death.
Always keep in mind, most sales people will tell you what you need to hear to buy a fish. They aren't really in it for the animals.
Fish have grown to their full sizes in smaller aquariums. A study was done with two catfish same species. Put into two different tanks of the same size. The only difference was one had a better filtration and a water change schedule. That one grew fine and the other appeared stunted. I wish I could remember where I read it and post the picture but a foot long fish will not grow it's full size in an 8 gallon.
That's why I am unsure of the test it has to have some line But then again we rescued a pleco from a 10g. And he was about 7 inches. Now he's almost 8 in the 110. But the previous owner did do water changes so I don't know anymore...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag It
Ok thanks, this info is a lot of help!
I suppose I should bite the bullet and return them sad times..
I'm so attached to my BGKF though, I really wish I had a bigger tank for him but money is unfortunately an issue.. Sigh..
He is currently roughly 2.5" in length, how big can he grow in a 30l (8 gallon) tank? Not that I'm considering keeping him, I couldn't put my fish through that knowing it will kill them! A bit annoyed I was even sold these fish for my tank only 2 days after having bought the tank from the same store.. oh well..
Unfortunately a lot of big pet stores just sell the fish. Try and find a privatized fish store with good staff. It might be hard to find but I am sure they will be one near you.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unfortunately not. I live on an island, 9x5 miles. We have a fair few pet stores, but no fish-specific stores. There are one or two people in these stores that know about fish I'm sure, but finding one of them amongst the many who work there just because it's a job can be like a needle in a haystack..
Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry. The best bet then is to do all the research possible, then ask here..
Old 02-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will do
Old 02-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Once you return the fish you have two options. Fish in cycle where you buy a fish suitable for your tank, like a Betta, and test the water and do water changes daily until the tank is cycled. OR Fishless cycle using pure ammonia, stocking the tank at the end. 8g will only take small nano fish like embed tetras, CPD, etc. A Betta is an option or a few guppie/endlers.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african, dwarf, frog, fungal, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com