Greetings from Atlanta, GA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi gang,
It is about time I introduce myself here, as I have been here for a week or so getting help to save bubbles... more about him later. My name is Joey and I'm getting back into an old hobby of marine aquarium. My first tank was one my girlfriend and I started in 1988, she managed a fish store and it only made since to have a tank in our apartment(store discounts and wholesale prices are great !), so we started with a used 135 gallon salt water set up. We ended up getting married in 1991 and moved the tank to our house and ran it for several more years. Back then it was hard to keep corals in a reef tank so we never got that far in the hobby. In fact wet/dry filters were just coming out by the major manufactures, ours was hand made and hard to use-ended up pulling it out . We used undergravel filters and canister filters with a protein skimmer. The last tanks we had before bailing on the hobby was a 110 gallon , 29 gallon and 10 gal . Now fast forward to 2008, my daughter is 6 and I'm still with my wife. My daughter asked for a fish tank this summer and saved $100 with a lemonade stand so I began looking for used tanks. I started looking for a 20 gal, then a 29 gal, finally ended up buying a 37 gal for her. I about fell over when I found out the "new" way to set up was with live rock and live sand and the cost would add $350 to the total set up cost. I made a huge mistake and decided to go with U/G filters and regreat it. I am in the process of buying LR and converting the tank. I did cycle with fish and managed to save my daughters favorite fish "bubbles" but it wasn't easy. We still had a funerial for "snow flake" and that was difficult. I should have found AA before I set up this tank, live and learn I guess. After setting up my daughters 37 I got myself a 3 gal Pico for a couple soft corals and a shrimp that I can call my own. Which I did the right way with LR and it is doing great, so I am trainable and did learn from my mistake. My wife is interested in getting herself a 29 Biocube so she can have a reef tank as well, so yes, we are going DEEP into this hobby again.Thanks for reading, I look forward to learning from all of you and then returning the favor with advice years from now once I can share what you teach me.

Welcome to the site!
I have been watching your cycle progress and am glad Bubbles made it!

Back
Top Bottom