Greetings from Ontario; Getting Toes back into Fish Keeping Waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnimalKrazed

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings everyone.

I'm just getting my toes back into the waters of fish keeping. I used to be an avid fish keeper a bit less than a decade back. I stopped because it was getting too expensive for my nonexistent wallet and I wanted to focus more on my high school education at the time. Back then, the majority of my experience was with community fish such as the vast variety of barbs (Cherry, Tiger, Odessa), plecostomus, Neons, Blind Cave Fish, African Dwarf Frogs, Gouramis, Angelfish, and other fish that you would expect to be kept in a pre-teen/teenager's fish tank.

I also have some experience with African Cichlids, my 'edgy' teen year, which I managed to keep satisfied for a time before trusting a Vacation Fish Food Pyramid Feeder to care for my fish while on vacation. Came back to a tank of dead bodies and one cichlid chasing the other around the tank. Went back to community fish after that with a focus on the slightly more aggressive or unique fish, by community fish standards anyway.

Anyways, I came back into the fish keeping hobby this Christmas when my family got me a Betta fish to take back to University. He came with a 1 gallon cube tank, a light, water conditioner, some plastic plants, betta colour enhancing floating pellets, and gravel substrate. The Betta, Turq, jumped out of the tank a week later, the day after I learned that Bettas could 'jump'. Unfortunate that I only learned after that they can jump 5 inches out of the water rather than the 1 inch that everyone else was demonstrating.

I decided I was going to make sure my family knew I appreciated the gift (cause I really did) so I went to my LFS (Big Al's) and got another Betta, a blue crowntail I have started calling Buck. I got him some freeze-dried Bloodworms as a once-in-a-while treat, a hanging leaf for him to lounge on, and a water heater since my dorm room is kinda chilly and it is something normally advised for Bettas anyway. I also got a mesh cover to put over the central hole in the cover that you are supposed to use to feed him since that was how the first Betta jumped out.

In my search for proper Betta care I came across forums like this one that have really helped me get what I currently possess for Buck. I decided to make myself an account on the ones that have really helped me so that I can both get the help I want and to put in my own input that might help others like you guys have me.

P.S: I know Bettas are normally advised to be kept in a 5 gallon or larger despite the common belief that they can be kept in bowls and such. I am hoping to upgrade Buck to something larger when I am able, possibly within a month as my Birthday is coming soon and that is on my gift list. I am hoping to find something else to use the gallon cube for to keep it in use, maybe shrimps or something akin to that?

:welcome:

Glad you could join us. When you have a chance, post a pic or two of Buck. :)
2017-01-09 12.20.32.jpg

2017-01-09 12.22.36.jpg

2017-01-09 12.22.17.jpg
Thanks for the warm welcome. I got a couple pictures here that you can view, and Buck also is currently my avatar so that is a another one you can look at. I have a few more on my profile though, so feel free to look through those. I am going to probably add more pictures of him to that album later on as I see how he continues to colour up.

I have only had Buck for a week starting six hours from now and he went from being just a complete dark blue all with dull red pelvic fins to almost metallic blue dorsal, ventral, and tail fins. I can see that his pectoral fins are starting to colour up from the transparent colour they were before to, hinting at possibly being the same metallic blue as the rest of his fins. I'm pretty glad that I went with him because just watching him colour up from the almost black blue he was before to this is an experience all it's own.

Anyways, I gotta go change his water now. I'll post a Bird's-Eye view of his tank and how I decorated it this week after I finish that.

Okay, just finished going to the closest LFS (Big Al's) and doing a water change for Buck.

I couldn't find the plant I wanted to get for him, since they had run out of Marimo Moss Balls and I didn't feel up to the task of trying to care for a Java Moss Ball. As an 'apology' to myself for failing in that endeavour, I got another plastic plant that Buck is currently fascinated by. Right now, looking at what I got in there with Buck it almost looks like a miniature planted tank with how much of the space is used for Buck's little jungle. Here is a quick photo of the Bird's-Eye View I promised earlier. I have read that Betta's like a heavily planted tank and I am hoping that this fits that while still allowing him plenty of room to swim around without having to weave through plastic plants.
2017-01-09 15.51.10.jpg
Anyways, I am glad that I managed to get the water change done, since what came out looked pretty nasty. I just kinda regret that I had to suck-start the 5 gallon Python cleaner I have, since it's too big to start on it's own. I immediately brushed my teeth and gargled some mouthwash after, bleh. Hey, at least the water is clean. I ended up doing a 75-ish percent water change for him, so I am pretty sure that the majority of the bad gunk is out.
Nice looking betta. I bet his changed coloring is a response to being in happier surroundings.
That is kinda of what I am hoping myself. With how much work I am going to be putting into making sure Buck stays happy, I am kind of hoping that he continues to colour up more. He still has somewhat transparent pectoral fins, and I am hoping that those colour up real soon.

Attachments

• 2017-01-09 15.51.25.jpg
    2017-01-09 15.51.25.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to the forum :)
:thanks:
Thanks for the welcome, Delapool. I appreciate someone who is as renowned on the forum as you just dropping by to welcome someone as 'fresh' as me.
:brows: Bad pun is bad, but I am that kinda person. Hope you don't mind. Anyways, here is hoping that I can find some stuff to post more about in the coming days I have as a member of the forum. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom