Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Greetings from Philelphia/New York

Hey guys looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully being able to share what I know
I'm a college student from New York who currently attends school in Philly. I became interested in fish about 3.5 years ago when I bought a betta, Chip. I kept him in a 1 gallon tank no heater no filter but the more I learned about fish the more I wanted to upgrade. He eventually ended up in a 10 gallon, along with a pleco and a cory, with a heater and a filter.

About 4 months ago I became interested in setting up a goldfish tank. I consequently moved Chip to a 2 gallon and set the 10 gallon up as a goldfish tank. I first bought one fan tail and an Oranda. After much trouble with Ich my fantail passed away and I ended up returning the Oranda and the Pleco because I felt that maybe the store could do more for them. By this point I was a bit discouraged but pushed on. I got a hold of a 20 gallon tank from one of my professors got the other necessary materials and set it up. I first bought one Pearscale, Chubby and a Ryukin, Nena. This time i had done my fair share of research so I was ready to treat them if anything came up. Both of them got Ich which was later cured through a salt treatment. Chubby also got fin rot which i managed to get rid through a lifeguard treatment. After everyone was better I started noticing that Corie, my Cory catfish, looked lonely so I bought him a friend Julie, a Julii Cory. He has looked more lively ever since.
I was running a 20 gallon hanging filter but have since added a large sponge filter attached to a 30 gallon pump to help with the goldfish' large bio load.. I also bought Mooshy, an Oranda, who I named in honor of my first Oranda. I keep my Temperature at 70 farenheit PH at 7.4. Everyone is now doing well. For me this is a long term project which I hope to be able to pass on to my children, I would love to have my goldies reach into their 20s

I joined the forum because I wanted to have someone to share my hobby with and someone there for support in case anything else ever came up. It's a pleasure to be able to be part of your community.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

to AA! I hope you enjoy

Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi and welcome to AA That is quite an introduction Sounds like you have had interesting times of it? Good luck
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4 View Post
Hi and welcome to AA That is quite an introduction Sounds like you have had interesting times of it? Good luck
Interesting to say the least.

Thank you for being so welcoming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com