Greetings, I'm starting a new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone,

it has been 20 years or more since I had a tank. Decided it was time. Two days ago I bought:

Freshwater
20 Gallon Aqueon - Glass - 24"L x 13"W x 17"H
Fluorescent Hood - Submersible Heater - QuietFlow Filtration

Finished adding decorations today. Thinking I might be able to get my first fishies tomorrow. I added some pictures of the tank in my profile/gallery. I'd be VERY interested in any suggestions for types of fish, for both the first few and for later on down the road. I went with fresh water, didn't feel comfortable tackling salt water right off the bat.

-Scott

40873-albums1855-picture12645.jpg

Hooray! Thanks for deciding to fishless cycle!

Anyway, as for fish suggestions, I'd do a pair of peacock gudgeons, two small schooling species like cardinal tetras and longfin danios, and a group of 6 small cory catfish! But that's just one opinion. You could also do a centerpiece fish like a dwarf or honey gourami, or a single bolivian or german blue ram.

Welcome to AA. Hope you are able to get the help and support needed to have a happy long life with your finned friends.

zparticle said:
Thanks for that guide, that sounds like a better option than hurting some fish for the cycling of the tank.

Welcome to AA! Having just recently tackled a fishless cycle myself, I will be here to help you though the empty tank syndrome you're sure to face. Haha

Nice set up too. :)

Thanks everyone. Is there a species guide somewhere so I can look at pictures and info about fish? For instance the types that were recommended to me above.

Welcome!

You might get some ideas reading some other stocking threads, or maybe in FW tanks showcase or photography sections.

Cardinal Tetras are beautiful. Also the wide variety of Cory Catfish are very cool. German Blue Ram, again stunning. Hmm, I'm going to have trouble picking, good thing I have a long time to go on the tank cycle.

Back
Top Bottom