Greetings, officially!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Greets, all!

I've never officially said 'hello', I just jumped into questioning the experts here - and for that I apologize. :grin:

So, Hello!

I've been itching to get my own fw setup since watching my dad play with his for years and years, and the time has finally come! I'm quite limited on space in my home, so the 30g long I inherited from my sis fits perfect in the study. It's not done cycling, and I can already see wanting another, larger tank. :D

I can't think of anything else to ramble on (right this second anyways) so I'll let that sink in - oh, one question I do have:

Pleco = Pl*co? What's the deal with the asterisk? I've seen this substitution all over the net, without any explanation. . . can anyone help me out?

And as always, thanks in advance. :lol:

(Yes, my avatar is my child and yes that is an actual pose. : )

I have, already and thanks for the welcome! ( Wow, it took 15 people to read that before one said hi? Not too friendly on Mondays, is it? :grin: )

KuDoS to Mitche for welcoming me! heehe

Welcome to AA!

cJw said:
I have, already and thanks for the welcome! ( Wow, it took 15 people to read that before one said hi? Not too friendly on Mondays, is it? :grin: )KuDoS to Mitche for welcoming me! heehe

Not everyone that reads a post is a member who can respond to one. Of course, Monday is a work day (which is where I am now).

Hi! Welcome! The asterisk is sorta a superstition thing. Supposedly typing Pleco the normal way is bad luck for your pleco. Type it Pl*co and it wont die.
Mine is in BIG trouble because I type pleco ALL the time!
Good luck with your tank!

Thanks for the pl*co info - although I don't have one and probably won't, so it's not an issue with me. . . or does it curse the reader's as well? :) I wonder how teh hell that got started. hrm. . .

As for views, good point, J. . . for a sec I thought I'd scared you all away with my incessant, impatient questions. :grin:

(also posting from work)

.net.pl*co.curse

A superstition that began when the internet took off and people started using message boards. It is sort of related to another superstition that "*" wards off evil/death. So, anywho, someone used a message board and typed in pleco, the pleco died immediately after and subsequent posts were typed pl*co and no deaths. It's been hanging around since then. So legend has it.

Hrm.

Thanks for the 'lore, J; that has me wondering how long you've been supplementing your aquaria hobby with internet usage. ;)

cJw said:
Thanks for the 'lore, J; that has me wondering how long you've been supplementing your aquaria hobby with internet usage.

Psyhampster said:
heh, he just got started earlier last year, so not terribly long.

I've been known to "find" the answer before the question is asked. Aquaria is chock full of subject matter so it fits. So actually, the Hamp is only partially right...LOL

[center:4262e4c4fa] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, cJw!! :n00b: [/center:4262e4c4fa]
I'm going to bump this over to the Welcome Wagon :D

Back
Top Bottom