Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

That was a lot of fish food at first. There is a lot of fish in your aquarium for a 10 gallon. The rule of thumb is one fish per gallon. I like to go 2 fish per gallon of water. It al so depends on the size of the fish you have in there. Fish will eat until they can not eat anymore. Every other day is fine. What type of filter do you have on your aquarium? It might not be strong enough for the amount of fish you have. Geting into blubs can be hard to under stand that is for sure. I will pm you on this info. Why do you want java moss for? Shrimp love this stuff. There are so many easy plants to sart with out there. I will find some good ones for you to start. We all have to start some place that is for sure. It was 2:00 am when I left all so. I will pm you right know.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

welcome to AA.

Quote:
the rule of thumb is one fish per gallon.
thats more of a myth then anything

Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

your tank may be overstocked but it depends on what kind of fish you have. we would need to know more about what type of filter you're using and what kind of fish you have. as for the moss ball, they are a moderate to high light plant i believe, and it sounds like you have low light, if that, in your tank. you may want to upgrade your bulb. also, pictures always help we love those
Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWq6aid1V8
dafraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #16

Thank you for the warm welcome Big Dog, mommytron, Mike and mgamer20o0! I did post a pic today of my 10g tank. Thought I did it correctly but am still learning how to navigate this site so perhaps not...will check on that pronto! Big Dog has been a blessing in disguise and has been very patient with me...I have much to learn! Mommytron, I have 4 small neon tetras (sadly one passed on today), 4 guppies (one of which is prego and I have two homes ready to welcome some of them), 1 loach. 1 cat, 1 oto, 2 small aquatic frogs and 2 mystery snails. I have a Whisper in take filter for a 10-30 gallon tank. But guess what?! I bought a 20 gallon tank today and am hoping (with help from this site OF COURSE!) to do it right this time. Get it Wednesday evening and feel like a little kid at Christmas!! It also comes with the same filter but I'm really thinking I need to invest in a hang-on power filter....what are your thoughts on that? Welcome any and all advice. Really wanted live plants and am discussing that with Big Dog but also really like my rocks in the bottom of the tank...again...any ideas or thoughts? Toss 'em my way pretty please! And mommytron, yes, I think I do need to get a different bulb. Wanna go shopping with me and show me what the heck I need?!?! Thanks again everyone...I'll get there...love this site and am so glad I happened across it.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum.
Mystery snails alone need 2.5 gallons just for themselves. How big are yours right now?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #18

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Mystery snails alone need 2.5 gallons just for themselves. How big are yours right now?
Hello and thank you for the welcome! One mystery snail I've had for about 6 months and it's about 1 1/2" long. The newest addition is a tiny gold mystery snail...smallest I've ever had & quite active so very entertaining to watch. Perhaps its a good think I'm getting a little bit bigger of a tank...
Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love my mystery snail! She is the size of a golfball, and has laid me about 14 clutches of eggs.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #20

The size of a golf ball? Holy cow! They didn't tell me they'd get that big when I bought them from Petco! Just love them and can't imagine not having them in the tank. I asked Petco if they reproduce like the smaller snails that take over a tank and was told they don't at all. Clutches of eggs?? Oh me oh my!! Not what I had planned for but sure do enjoy watching them. Quick little things, aren't they?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com