Hellllllllo!!! :o)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperschell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! :D My name is Rochelle and I live in Kansas City, Missouri. I've had a 10 gallon tank for a year now. Really want a larger tank...someday!! I'm always looking for tank/fish/plant information and happened across this site. Lots of great info on here!

Nice to have you here. Do you have a picture of your aquarium?

I don't! I'll try to get one tomorrow...I'm pretty sure it's not going to look like much compared to some of the beauts I've seen on here. But we have to start somewhere, right?!

Love all the plants in your tank! I'm not even sure that my moss ball I bought from Petco is going to make it. Was considering putting some fake plants in but really want the real thing. Is there any secret to it??

That is cool. Here is a picture of my first planted aquarium. The 2 picture is how it looks know but more full.

jpg.gif
IMG_2475_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2475_1.jpg
    IMG_2475_1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 97
For some reason I can not get the 2 picture to up load. I will try later to day. I use dry fertilizer for my planted aquariums. It is soooooooo much cheaper and works alot better all so. What kind of light do you use by chance? Are you squezzing out your moss ball in your aquarium water each time you do a water change? The moss ball will fill up fast with junk in it and then it can not breath. Just like us. I do 50% water changes on all my aquariums each week.

Amazing tank!!! I'll check back to see the 2nd pic. Dry fertilizer? I have much to learn! I have a fluorescent fish tank bulb. Bought the set-up off craigslist and thats the bulb that was in it. I am squeezing the moss ball in the old water I've taken out of the tank and then placing it back in the clean tank...almost threw it away but there is still some green on it so perhaps it could still make it? I just did a water change two days ago and it already has "stuff" that looks like sea weed coming off of it. Is it time to toss it?!?! I've been doing 50% water changes each week for a couple of months now. My husband thinks its more trouble than its worth but I do not agree. I'm really enjoying it but have much to learn. I do so appreciate you're advice!

I'm headed to the forums to read up on potted tanks...there has got to be hope for me yet!

Last edited:
I would not throw it away if I was you. Just keep squezing it out a few times a week. How much food are you feeding your fish? They do make a plant blub for that light. This will help with your plants. I have a ton of info on planted aquariums. Just let me know what you need to know and I will try to help you out the best I can. If I can do it. Any one can do it.

Well....in the beginning I was feeding them twice a day. Quickly learned that must be way too much cause things got really nasty in there real quick! I now feed about two pinches of tropical flakes and two shrimp pellets once a day but they act like they're starved half to death! What would the norm be for a 10g tank with 11 fish (2 of which are "cleaners" and 1 loach), 2 tiny aquatic frogs and 2 mystery snails? Am I over feeding? Also, I've looked at bulbs and just became overwhelmed and decided to stick with what I had. BUT if it's going to help the plants I hope to have then I guess I better figure it out! What type of bulb would it be that I should look for? And it should say for plants on it?! And it seems that everyone is saying (on this site) to get java moss...is that what you'd suggest for me to start with once I change my lighting? Me oh my....you didn't know I was going to be such a pain, did you?!?! I really appreciate any help you can give...I feel so excited about my tank again!!! It's almost 2:00 am so I'm going to sign off here and get some sleep. Will be back on first thing in the morn to see if you've replied!! Thank you again!

That was a lot of fish food at first. There is a lot of fish in your aquarium for a 10 gallon. The rule of thumb is one fish per gallon. I like to go 2 fish per gallon of water. It al so depends on the size of the fish you have in there. Fish will eat until they can not eat anymore. Every other day is fine. What type of filter do you have on your aquarium? It might not be strong enough for the amount of fish you have. Geting into blubs can be hard to under stand that is for sure. I will pm you on this info. Why do you want java moss for? Shrimp love this stuff. There are so many easy plants to sart with out there. I will find some good ones for you to start. We all have to start some place that is for sure. It was 2:00 am when I left all so. I will pm you right know.

Welcome to AA! :D

your tank may be overstocked but it depends on what kind of fish you have. we would need to know more about what type of filter you're using and what kind of fish you have. as for the moss ball, they are a moderate to high light plant i believe, and it sounds like you have low light, if that, in your tank. you may want to upgrade your bulb. also, pictures always help :D we love those

Thank you for the warm welcome Big Dog, mommytron, Mike and mgamer20o0! I did post a pic today of my 10g tank. Thought I did it correctly but am still learning how to navigate this site so perhaps not...will check on that pronto! Big Dog has been a blessing in disguise and has been very patient with me...I have much to learn! Mommytron, I have 4 small neon tetras (sadly one passed on today), 4 guppies (one of which is prego and I have two homes ready to welcome some of them), 1 loach. 1 cat, 1 oto, 2 small aquatic frogs and 2 mystery snails. I have a Whisper in take filter for a 10-30 gallon tank. But guess what?! I bought a 20 gallon tank today and am hoping (with help from this site OF COURSE!) to do it right this time. Get it Wednesday evening and feel like a little kid at Christmas!! It also comes with the same filter but I'm really thinking I need to invest in a hang-on power filter....what are your thoughts on that? Welcome any and all advice. Really wanted live plants and am discussing that with Big Dog but also really like my rocks in the bottom of the tank...again...any ideas or thoughts? Toss 'em my way pretty please! And mommytron, yes, I think I do need to get a different bulb. Wanna go shopping with me and show me what the heck I need?!?! Thanks again everyone...I'll get there...love this site and am so glad I happened across it.

Welcome to the forum. :)
Mystery snails alone need 2.5 gallons just for themselves. ;) How big are yours right now?

Hello and thank you for the welcome! One mystery snail I've had for about 6 months and it's about 1 1/2" long. The newest addition is a tiny gold mystery snail...smallest I've ever had & quite active so very entertaining to watch. Perhaps its a good think I'm getting a little bit bigger of a tank...

The size of a golf ball? Holy cow! They didn't tell me they'd get that big when I bought them from Petco! Just love them and can't imagine not having them in the tank. I asked Petco if they reproduce like the smaller snails that take over a tank and was told they don't at all. Clutches of eggs?? Oh me oh my!! Not what I had planned for but sure do enjoy watching them. Quick little things, aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom