Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Talking Hellllllllo!!! :o)

Hello everyone! My name is Rochelle and I live in Kansas City, Missouri. I've had a 10 gallon tank for a year now. Really want a larger tank...someday!! I'm always looking for tank/fish/plant information and happened across this site. Lots of great info on here!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nice to have you here. Do you have a picture of your aquarium?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #3

I don't! I'll try to get one tomorrow...I'm pretty sure it's not going to look like much compared to some of the beauts I've seen on here. But we have to start somewhere, right?!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #4

Love all the plants in your tank! I'm not even sure that my moss ball I bought from Petco is going to make it. Was considering putting some fake plants in but really want the real thing. Is there any secret to it??
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is cool. Here is a picture of my first planted aquarium. The 2 picture is how it looks know but more full.

IMG_2475_1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2475_1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	24116  
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

For some reason I can not get the 2 picture to up load. I will try later to day. I use dry fertilizer for my planted aquariums. It is soooooooo much cheaper and works alot better all so. What kind of light do you use by chance? Are you squezzing out your moss ball in your aquarium water each time you do a water change? The moss ball will fill up fast with junk in it and then it can not breath. Just like us. I do 50% water changes on all my aquariums each week.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #7

Amazing tank!!! I'll check back to see the 2nd pic. Dry fertilizer? I have much to learn! I have a fluorescent fish tank bulb. Bought the set-up off craigslist and thats the bulb that was in it. I am squeezing the moss ball in the old water I've taken out of the tank and then placing it back in the clean tank...almost threw it away but there is still some green on it so perhaps it could still make it? I just did a water change two days ago and it already has "stuff" that looks like sea weed coming off of it. Is it time to toss it?!?! I've been doing 50% water changes each week for a couple of months now. My husband thinks its more trouble than its worth but I do not agree. I'm really enjoying it but have much to learn. I do so appreciate you're advice!

I'm headed to the forums to read up on potted tanks...there has got to be hope for me yet!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would not throw it away if I was you. Just keep squezing it out a few times a week. How much food are you feeding your fish? They do make a plant blub for that light. This will help with your plants. I have a ton of info on planted aquariums. Just let me know what you need to know and I will try to help you out the best I can. If I can do it. Any one can do it.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Great looking tank Big Dog.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #10

Well....in the beginning I was feeding them twice a day. Quickly learned that must be way too much cause things got really nasty in there real quick! I now feed about two pinches of tropical flakes and two shrimp pellets once a day but they act like they're starved half to death! What would the norm be for a 10g tank with 11 fish (2 of which are "cleaners" and 1 loach), 2 tiny aquatic frogs and 2 mystery snails? Am I over feeding? Also, I've looked at bulbs and just became overwhelmed and decided to stick with what I had. BUT if it's going to help the plants I hope to have then I guess I better figure it out! What type of bulb would it be that I should look for? And it should say for plants on it?! And it seems that everyone is saying (on this site) to get java moss...is that what you'd suggest for me to start with once I change my lighting? Me oh my....you didn't know I was going to be such a pain, did you?!?! I really appreciate any help you can give...I feel so excited about my tank again!!! It's almost 2:00 am so I'm going to sign off here and get some sleep. Will be back on first thing in the morn to see if you've replied!! Thank you again!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com