Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

errdivideby0

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
My name is Gary. I'm relatively new to the world of salt water aquariums. In the past I've helped my family take care of freshwater but until recently I've never had any experience with salt water. I'm currently a high school senior and am taking Marine Science. In that class were are each assigned a group and the group has to take care of a salt water aquarium in the class. The teacher teaches us how to change the water, measure everything, and some other basic stuff.

A couple of years ago my brother gave me an 80 gallon aquarium that I was going to set up but things happened in life and I never got the chance too. I have free time (and a source of funds) now and I'm thinking about setting it up. Would that be too big for a first aquarium? I've read places that the bigger the aquarium the easier it is to take care of for your first but would that be too big?

I'm hoping to be able to find advice from more experienced veterans of the hobby here. If anyone has any readings that they would recommend to a new comer to the hobby I would greatly appreciate it!

Looking forward to talking with you all.

Gary

Welcome! I can't advise you on size or much of anything but I can welcome you to the forum!

welcome! I'm a freshmen in highschool so I kinda see where you're coming from. anyways, an 80 gallon is a great place to start! there is tons of great info in the articles section of the sight. Any other questions?
Good luck!

I wish I'd gotten started then. I'd always liked salt water tanks I just never had the money until now. I don't really have any questions at the moment, I'm sure I will when it comes closer to setting the tank up as to what exactly I should buy and all that. I'm thinking of asking my Marine Science teacher if she would help me with the set up, that would be amazing if she would. Everything is just so overwhelming in the beginning. I know it's like anything though: It's a lot of work in the beginning but well worth it in the end.

Welcome to AA!

Like said, 80 is a good place to start, and just as you've read, bigger is better as the larger water volume is more forgiving.

BTW, love your screenname.

Welcome to AA!

You will find a lot of information and helpful folks on the site. Glad you have joined us!

Back
Top Bottom