Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vp4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all - I am new here from NJ. I caught the aquarium bug and am itching to learn before running out and buying my own. Never had an aquarium before but seen many in friends & Family's houses. Besides reading here, I am planning to visit some Aquarium stores to see what is out there. Contemplating saltwater vs. freshwater, etc. Would appreciate a few references to stores in NY Metro area. Will be visiting Absolutely Fish in Clifton, NJ next week. Any other stores I should go to? Thanks.

Hi there! Good for you to do the research before jumping into things. Hope you enjoy your new hobby :)

hello vp4. sorry i dont know about stores up there but try a google search. just try and i know it will be hard but try to not buy anything the first few visits. lol
look at the fish that peek your fancy that you may want to buy and research their care needs on as many sources as you can find. DONT take the stores word for it. they are usually a bit biased and dont want you to go home empty handed.
welcome to the madness lol

Welcome to AA! I'm into saltwater and I think you should give it a try. ;)

Welcome to AA! Definitely do the research. You can make the best of either setup.

I always love visiting NewWorld Aquarium when in NY visiting friends. Here is a link. New World Aquarium

They have beautiful fresh and marine fish and some nice plants, if you go fresh and consider a planted tank.

Keep us posted on what you decide :D. Happy fish keeping!

Thanks all. I am conflicted about fresh water vs. saltwater because I hear saltwater is a bit more work and costs more. I was checking out Oceanic aquariums. They have what they call reef ready aquarium. What is the difference between that and an aquarium meant for saltwater? I will check out New World Aquarium.

It's more costly and completely worth it. I've completely converted. I find the fish the be much more interesting and lively. It's worth the effort in my opinion.

A reef ready aquarium usually has a built in overflow and is predrilled for sump.

Do I need to get GFCI outlet for aquariums? I currently have regular outlets. If I need a GFCI, I suppose it would be easy to swap them out without doing any additional thing or hiring an electrician. Thanks.

it's a very good idea to use a gfci outlet to plug the aquarium equipment into. a $10 piece of equipment could save your life. i think it's worth it. you dont have to run new lines just switch out the outlet you will be using.

Reactions: HN1
it's a very good idea to use a gfci outlet to plug the aquarium equipment into. a $10 piece of equipment could save your life. i think it's worth it. you dont have to run new lines just switch out the outlet you will be using.

Great advice!

img_1013567_0_4d788f6a97875fbc4c547128ca530266.gif

Back
Top Bottom