hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ualda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I'm new on the site and to fish-keeping.

I started wanting an aquarium cos winters are too long and dark, intending to take my time about it, but we had the opportunity to take on someone's fish so we leapt right in.

We've got a couple of ordinary-looking goldfish that apparently had been living in the bowl that came with them for 7 years. One's a bit bigger than the other but they're about 3-4 inches. They came in a plastic bag accompanied by the bowl and gravel (still damp) so we dumped the gravel into a small tank we'd already acquired, topped up halfway with filtered tap water warmed to room temp and bunged in the fish before they suffocated. We topped up the tank in stages over the next day or so till we could turn the filter on. For the first day or so they were a bit stunned but once the filter was on they started charging round like nutters.

The tank we first put them in was bigger than the bowl but at 17 litres was till far too small; so after about a month we moved 36l tank. After the initial fill-up we've been using a dechlorinator on the water.

My biggest question at this point is - will they start growing now or is 7 years long enough to permanently restrict their size?

my aquarium

Attachments

• DSC01839---Copy.JPG
    DSC01839---Copy.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 62
Welcome to AA. :) Sounds like you are well on your way to happy fishkeeping!

That's a very curious question... I suppose the fish could be permanently restricted for having been in that bowl for 7 years. There's a gold fish in my koi pond that we got from the fair a few years ago and he's as big as some of the koi!

Since the life of a goldfish (carp) is very long, your fish will definitely start growing after acclimation. Carp grow with the size of their environment so they should gain another inch or so, maybe more. They could also live another 7 years if all goes well. I had a goldfish growing up that outlived all the others. He ended up being 13 years old before he quit! He measured almost 5 inches in a 10gal tank and I didn't give any special care.
Good lookin' tank! Congrats on saving the rascals from the bowl!!!!!!

Welcome to AA! :)

As for your question, I don't know. 7 years may very well be enough to permanently stunt them, but who knows... You'll have to let us know if they start growing now!

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom