Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome! It's funny to think...I'm 6'3 and it still ways more than 5 of me! Not to get off topic or anything...haha

Gardening is to me, what fish-keeping is to you. Even though our tank is still cycling, I think I can get into this. I have to have a planted tank though. Those fake ones look so...fake ;)

Ya most will suggest a T5-HO (high output) light with a 6700K and 10000K bulb...if, of course your goin for the 55g tank...o course there are other options as well...

I think you'll do just fine. You've already learned how to let nature do it's thing. The main problem for a lot of people is that they rush everything trying to find instant gratification. It's quite a bit like gardening, plant a seed and then give it time. If you rush it, over feed it, dose it with too many chemicals, you've just undone everything you set out to do. Gardeners have learned the benefit of patience and that, along with a great deal of common sense and some simple research will yield the results you want. Don't be afraid to ask questions and research and pre-plan. It will save you time and heartache later on. It's an enjoyable hobby, but growth takes time. On a lighter note... The water from your pwc is a phenomenal fertilizer, no compost time needed!

Thanks Maya, but my garden is over 6000 square feet. I don't think the pwc water will help much. It may be OK for the hanging baskets after a trial run. I don't trust anything on the plants without testing it first. And you are right, cycling a tank is a LOT like gardening. We have the patience for it though. I told JB the tank will be ready about the time we harvest green beans. She's cool with that. She's learning how to test the water now.

Josh, lighting isn't a problem for me. I start all of my plants from seed in a high tech grow chamber and also have a greenhouse. I have lots of full spectrum plant bulbs and fixtures ;)

Found it:

Harlequin Rasbora
Pentazona Barb
Tiger Barb
Cardinal Tetra...maybe
Banded Gourami

This is just the beginning of the list. More research is needed before we make a decision.

Just be careful...tiger barbs can be meanies! They are fin nippers...I've heard that there are instances of the picking on guaramies...but please, do your research! Nothin better than that :)

Just be careful...tiger barbs can be meanies! They are fin nippers...I've heard that there are instances of the picking on guaramies...but please, do your research! Nothin better than that :)

Thanks for the info. We'll keep that in mind.

Wow... 6000 square feet! That's a lot of veggies! I've never bothered to drag our water out to the garden (compost pile is waaayy closer!) When I had bettas I would use their water on the house plants and they loved it. I don't have any FW critters anymore. We went to a 75 gallon saltwater reef and are beginning our upgrade to our 125. Using that water is out, so I lost my free indoor fertilizer. Lol! I have been a novice gardener for years, mainly flowers with a few herbs. My husband however has expanded our gardens to include a set of 12x24 foot raised beds for produce and I have to admit, while not as pretty as my roses, they do taste much better. Enjoy your tanks!

Wow... 6000 square feet! That's a lot of veggies! I've never bothered to drag our water out to the garden (compost pile is waaayy closer!) When I had bettas I would use their water on the house plants and they loved it. I don't have any FW critters anymore. We went to a 75 gallon saltwater reef and are beginning our upgrade to our 125. Using that water is out, so I lost my free indoor fertilizer. Lol! I have been a novice gardener for years, mainly flowers with a few herbs. My husband however has expanded our gardens to include a set of 12x24 foot raised beds for produce and I have to admit, while not as pretty as my roses, they do taste much better. Enjoy your tanks!

My wife has a number of roses. I grow many of our flowers, and all of our vegetables, from seed. I refuse to buy any edible from a greenhouse. I also grow herbs from seed (except rosemary...just can't do it in my climate). I applaud your husbands efforts on the raised beds. I grow asparagus, strawberries and garlic in raised beds. The strawberries are just a dozen or so everbearing, so a small bed. The June bearing are in a 400 sf bed of their own (not a raised bed).

I don't think I could trust dumping tank water into my compost pile until I can send it off to be tested by my favorite lab. I have no knowledge as to whether it is good, bad or indifferent, but with a garden the size of mine, I can't take the chance.

If you ever want any gardening advice, please feel free to ask.

Thanks! I will do that. I'm excited that spring has finally arrived here in Ohio. We actually just turned and sifted compost this week to get ready. We have been discussing drainage in the back yard. I'm casually throwing out some ideas for a pond and major landscaping. Been wanting to try some tiered beds and drainage is always a good place to start. Lol... Hope my husband doesn't check the app or I'll be outed!

Thanks! I will do that. I'm excited that spring has finally arrived here in Ohio. We actually just turned and sifted compost this week to get ready. We have been discussing drainage in the back yard. I'm casually throwing out some ideas for a pond and major landscaping. Been wanting to try some tiered beds and drainage is always a good place to start. Lol... Hope my husband doesn't check the app or I'll be outed!

HAHAHA!!! Hope everything goes well for you! Drainage is always important, but the soil is critical. Think of it this way, you wouldn't put fish in improper water, why make plants suffer in improper soil?

Back
Top Bottom