Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aprlshwrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I'm new here and to the aquarium world. I'm beginning a freshwater aquarium and I'm anxious because I want it to go well. Right now, I set up my 10 gallon aquarium and am very happy with the way it looks but...I haven't put in any fish in it yet. I'm constantly checking the pH balance and it's pretty high. Then again, the water in our area is always pretty high. Does anyone know if using spring water from the store would be better? I don't know...I'm just 'fishing' for ideas. :fish2: ok...that was bad.

Anyway, I'm hoping to be around this community a bit and looking forward to getting to know some of you.

Welcome to AA!

Most fish you get from a LFS should acclimate to your PH, as it should be similar, do not waste money on buying water.

Are you doing a fishless cycle and adding ammonia then?

Again, welcome to the forum!

I wasn't planning on doing a fishless cycle, in fact, I plan to buy fish this coming Monday. I just set up my aquarium last night (Friday). I have been going to Petco and they told me to let it run with the heater and with the filter for 24-48 hours. I figured going an extra day wouldn't hurt it.

When I was testing the pH, it was 8.2 but I want to test it again over the next two days. I'm going to test it directly from the tap as well. From what I've been reading, it is sometimes normal that the pH rises after a while. The girl at Petco told me their water is around 7.6-7.8 but as long as my pH is consistent, I should fine. I'll test their water and see how it really is...our area has pretty hard water.

Thanks for the welcome!

Just tested my tap water...it tests at 7.4 so, I'm guessing something in my tank is causing it to rise. Hmm...curiouser and curiouser..

Definitely do a fishless cycle. Check out the link in my sig to see why. Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AA .. you'll find everyone here willing to help you set up a successful tank. I did not read you mention how your testing your water ... but strips are unreliable. Members here highly recommend the API test master kit ... a bit on the expensive side .. but accurate and a dechlorinator for those water changes.

Members will also recommend doing a fish-less cycle, but if you go the cycling with fish route ... choose a hardy beginning fish that can handle a range of temperatures and pH levels, I'm sure more experienced members will chime in on the best fish for starting a 10gal.

Back
Top Bottom