Hello !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ph now steady at about 7.8. Will see what it is like in the morning .

My local Ph is 8.0-8.4 depending on how long it sits. My fish have no problems. Community tank as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Been over three weeks now . Still no change. Ammo same nitrites still 0 .

This will happen won't it.? Readings same above.

Nesh

Yay my cycle has started !!!!! Ammo dropped to 1ppm and nitrates from 0 to 2ppm !

Cool deal. Don't be disheartened but tux nitrite bacteria usually take longer than the ammonia ones. Just be prepared to wait it out. Patience is key

I am also new to aquarium advice, I personally thibk a 16 gallon would be perfect for tiger barbs and a couple of other fish maybe!

I'll try again original post didn't come up.

The tank is a Portrait tank ( a biorb life) which is 19.2 US gallons or 16 Uk gallons.

Would like some nice community fish.

Did like the look if kribensis ? But I hear they can be aggressive. Like most barbs. Small and colourful would be nice,

Thanks for the incoming advice.

:)

Hello all,

Thanks for the messages, I shall try and answer the questions.

Current readings are 3ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites , 0 nitrates. So I'm just topping up the ammonia to keep it around 3ppm.

I live in south west uk the water is very very hard. I have an ion exchange water softener fitted in the house. I searched many many websites to find out if the softened water would be ok in the tank, and thus it is filled with the softened water, but obviously still has carbonate ions but the calcium and magnesium have been exchanged with sodium ions.

Ph is a liitle high at the moment about 9 , but this is probably due to the addition of ammonia? ( I'm a chemistry teacher)!

The dimensions are

It is a portrait tank. A biorb life .

Height: 25 inches (63cm)
Width: 16.5 inches (42cm))
Depth: 11 inches (28cm)
Weight (Full): 144 pounds (65kg)

Any help most gratefully received.

Nesh
a ph of 9 is very high, most tropical fish thrive around a ph of 7.5 unless they are african species and then it can range in the 8.5 range such a some cichlids. Most south american species will prefer the ph at levels between 6.5 and 7.0. Generally the ph of the tank will drop over time without doing water changes, but you will need to keep the ph consistant in order for your fish to adjust to its levels. You might want to consider adding something to make the water more acidic such as adding some moss or bog wood of some type. The tannins leached into the water will lower ph levels.

Hi pH is now settled at 7.5.

Ammonia 3ppm is being converted in 12 hours ! However nitrites are still around 2ppm.

So I'm mid cycle ?

When your ammonia and nitrites both drop to zero within 24 hours you will be cycled. You're almost there

Also make sure you're still adding ammonia if you don't have fish. Add enough to keep it around 3ppm per day

Hooray!

When I'm finished , should I add a few fish or completely stock ?

My dilemma is I'm going away soon for 5 days . If I leave it my cycle will stall without addition of ammonia. But I would also not be able to get anyone to feed my fish. Decisions decisions.

Put a few pieces of raw shrimp shoved in a media bag or some tied off pantyhose and hang it on the inside of the tank in the direct path of the filter outflow. Should start rotting soon enough to give you some good ammonia spikes while you're away to feed the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom