Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just saying hello before I ask for a little bit of advice. I've been browsing through the forum for the past couple of days just gathering some info.

I've had a 10g tank running for the past two years that housed a betta and three corys. The beta recently died and my five y/o son was sad and wanted more fish. Problem is he wants those funky little glo tetra things and I want another betta. Can't house all those fish, including corys, in a little 10g. So, I bought a new 37g. :D Now I'm trying to stock this big thing.

The 37g was seeded with the stuff and gravel and old filter from the 10g along with the corys. Cycle has gone well so I added three male and five female guppies. In less the two days all five female guppies died. The males are doing great. Petco said they will give me five more females on Tuesday when they get them in as it seems they have "sold out". Personally I think they had a problem and they all died but that is just speculation.

Yesterday I decided that another Cory would be nice and allow them to form a small group and I got an angel also. All are doing great but the angel seems to like to hang out by the heater and rarely comes out to "socialize". Figure he just getting used to his new home, he's just a little guy. Keeping an eye on him though.

As I said, five female guppies are going in on Tuesday and at least five glo tetras are going in soon after. That makes:
-four (maybe five) corys
-eight guppies
-one angel
-five (one of each color) glo tetras
How much more can I add?
Would like a second angel and a larger group of glo fish. Do I have that much room in there?

Trying to add a pic of the tank. Hope it worked.

Thanks for your time.
Chris

Attachments

• image-1287175187.jpg
    image-1287175187.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 82
Just saying hello before I ask for a little bit of advice. I've been browsing through the forum for the past couple of days just gathering some info.

I've had a 10g tank running for the past two years that housed a betta and three corys. The beta recently died and my five y/o son was sad and wanted more fish. Problem is he wants those funky little glo tetra things and I want another betta. Can't house all those fish, including corys, in a little 10g. So, I bought a new 37g. :D Now I'm trying to stock this big thing.

The 37g was seeded with the stuff and gravel and old filter from the 10g along with the corys. Cycle has gone well so I added three male and five female guppies. In less the two days all five female guppies died. The males are doing great. Petco said they will give me five more females on Tuesday when they get them in as it seems they have "sold out". Personally I think they had a problem and they all died but that is just speculation.

Yesterday I decided that another Cory would be nice and allow them to form a small group and I got an angel also. All are doing great but the angel seems to like to hang out by the heater and rarely comes out to "socialize". Figure he just getting used to his new home, he's just a little guy. Keeping an eye on him though.

As I said, five female guppies are going in on Tuesday and at least five glo tetras are going in soon after. That makes:
-four (maybe five) corys
-eight guppies
-one angel
How much more can I add?
Would like a second angel and a larger group of glo fish. Do I have that much room in there?

Thanks for your time.
Chris

Welcome to Aquarium Advice. I like all of the fish you have picked out!

:welcome: to AA! :)

-four (maybe five) corys
-eight guppies
-one angel
How much more can I add?

Thanks for your time.
Chris

If you mean glo fish/tetras do you mean glowlight tetras or glofish as in the genetically modified zebra danios? Two very different fish.

I think a pair would most likely attack the fish you have in there, but I don't think you'll have a problem with two angels if they're not.

bruinsbro1997 said:
:welcome: to AA! :)

If you mean glo fish/tetras do you mean glowlight tetras or glofish as in the genetically modified zebra danios? Two very different fish.

I think a pair would most likely attack the fish you have in there, but I don't think you'll have a problem with two angels if they're not.

They are the ones that are supposed to "glow" under a blacklight. Supposed to be kept in groups of five or more so I assume they are tetras.

Thanks for the welcomes.

They are the ones that are supposed to "glow" under a blacklight. Supposed to be kept in groups of five or more so I assume they are tetras.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Those are actually zebra danios, they are very cool fish. I don't know if you know this, but the reason the glow is because the parents are injected with genes from jellyfish that make them glow. The offspring of the parents will automatically glow without being injected. Interesting huh? Good luck with your tank! Also, if you are looking for a place to get a blacklight, I saw them at Lowe's.

redsea said:
Those are actually zebra danios, they are very cool fish. I don't know if you know this, but the reason the glow is because the parents are injected with genes from jellyfish that make them glow. The offspring of the parents will automatically glow without being injected. Interesting huh? Good luck with your tank! Also, if you are looking for a place to get a blacklight, I saw them at Lowe's.

Hmmmm. I guess I will have to research if those little guys will be compatable with my current fish then. I hope so or I will have to bring the 10g back up just to keep them.

My hood has some nice blue LEDs in it for nighttime and they make the more colorful bits in the tank glow nicely so I'm hoping they will do the trick. If not I'll check out what they have at Lowe's. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom