Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well I'm part of a hunting forum, firearms forum, trucking forum ... figured why not find a fish forum and well, now I'm here.

Just set up tanks again, had one a few years back and unfortunately after I moved I never got around to setting one up again. Set up my 20 a few months ago, got bored, found a 33 for 80 bucks. Tank, hood/light, substrate, plastic plants and a nice tree, heater ... how could one say no to that.

Well now I've got two tanks going and I'm looking to curb the 20 and replace it with something along the lines of a 55-75 gallon. Eventually start a same sized marine tank and keep the 33 as a freshwater quarantine/I ended up with eggs for some reason/evil fish time out tank.

As of now the 33 is housing 2 angels about 3 1/2 inches vertical (fin tip to fin tip), a yellow lab which is just about reaching 3 inches, 2 juvenile spotted raphael cats, a bristlenose pleco and as of yesterday 5 penguin tetras and 2 rummynose tetras.

Long story short about the new addition. The zebra danios weren't nipping in the 20 and as soon as I transferred everyone to the 33 they went ape(@^*. Nipped the angels fins after lights out. They went back to the 20 real quick but the bigger angels' stripes were always faded after that. Fins are patching up nice, water is near perfect, substrate is a bit too bright for angels but they were fine in the other tank, more plants (plastic) in the 33 ... the only thing I could think of that would stress him was the loss of the danios. Went and got the tetras and almost instantly the stripes got darker and when they do fade it's not half as bad as it was. Now hes got his predator gauge back and seems happier.

Before I get flamed for only getting 2 rummynoses let me explain. Penguins are 2 bucks, rummynoses are 4. I like the look of the rummynose tetras but needed a descent school and just got laid off so disposable income is tight. Never the less I needed to try and sort the angel out. Figured with 5 of one schooling and not enough of their own species to do the same the rummys would join the penguins. I added them last night. The 5 penguins were schooling right from the start. The rummynoses hid all night and were split up. This morning, they're all schooling together and have been all day with the exception of the smaller rummy which appears to have been more-so affected by the voyage and takes breaks hiding out behind the filter once in a while. Worked out pretty well.

The 20 is pretty desolate with 6 zebra danios and not many decorations but that'll get sorted once I decide which direction I'm taking with it.

Anyways, long first post but here I am.

lucky07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com