Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

porksauce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New 7 gallon tank, have questions

Just joined and wanted to say hello and ask a question.
My tank is 3 weeks old. I bought a Betta after 2 weeks, it finished cycling (according to tests,PH 8.4, A .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0) about 4 days ago so I added 3 Spotted Cory Cats yesterday. I think that should be enough fish for a tank of this size. So, my question, since the tank finished cycling I noticed some brown and green algae. The plants have a good amount of brown on them but I did clean it off the sides of the tank. It doesn't seem to be getting worse at the moment. I was wondering how long I can expect it to stick around? Also, will this harm my plants?

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 90
Welcome to the AA community. You may find that you'll get more help and advice if you start a thread in the freshwater section. Your tank has potential and has the natural look that I've always liked!

Good luck and again welcome.

I had Nitrite = 5 for a while and when it went to 0, I figured I was good? I also, brought a water sample to Petco to have them test it to be sure. They said I was good. Is it just the Ammonia I need to get to 0 or is there something else to look for. The Ammonia has been at .25 since I've been testing for about 1 1/2 weeks. Will my fish be ok?

Just keep it around .25 and test daily. Hopefully you have your own test kit. Make sure to read those 3 articles I posted. They aren't very long. A cycled tank won't have 0 nitrates.

Great links.

I have done some research online, but the links consolidate the info well. I am a bit confused because I thought that once you had a large amount of nitrites and they went down that you were good, but I guess it is odd that my nitrates are not increasing. I guess I just thought that my plants were using them. I test every other day, I change 25 percent every week. I guess I should increase the frequency of water changes if the Ammonia increases?

By the way, thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom