Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jordan6263

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. New member just purchased our first FAMILY aquarium (used to have one when I was younger?). So much more information is now available thanks to sites like this one ?. Anyways got a Fluval Edge 6g. Like the streamline appearance of this tank. In the process of setting this up (right now we are just waiting for tank to cycle). My girls couldn't wait so after 3 days did get a beta. Trying my hand at aquascaping as well. Everything I've read seems to lean this way. So if anyone has any advice I'm always open to suggestions. I think we are going to eventually have a few tetras and either some shrimp or catfish.

Because this tank is only a 6 gal, the catfish area is limited. The best kind that would fit in would Prob be Cory catfish

Because this tank is only a 6 gal, the catfish area is limited. The best kind that would fit in would Prob be Cory catfish

Even cory wise..you could only MAYBE have 3..and if you have anything else that would be alot. I think you would be better off with some small school of fish and maybe a few shrimp..or do a snail or two or something.

Don`t get a pleco as algae eater look for a fish called an oto. I love them, 3 kept all the algae off my 20 gallon.

R u planning to get rid of the beta before putting the other fish in?

Why? I have a betta in my shrimp tank with ember tetras, 2 Dario Dario, 3 otos, 4 pencil fish & assorted shrimp & he is not a problem. You just shouldn't have the betta with larger colorful fish but they are usually fine in a community tank as long as you research the other fish before you add.

Why? I have a betta in my shrimp tank with ember tetras, 2 Dario Dario, 3 otos, 4 pencil fish & assorted shrimp & he is not a problem. You just shouldn't have the betta with larger colorful fish but they are usually fine in a community tank as long as you research the other fish before you add.

Really?
All the beta I have kept were very picky about tank mates.

If u r going with tetras, get some neons, or glow-lights. U can fit around 4-5 of them in the tank if u have nothing else.

Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. What I was thinking was keeping the beta for now in the tank. Was planning on small group of neons (3/4). Do u like neons over tetras? Plus was thinking of Cory but wife wants shrimp. Not that I mind shrimp but I've read that they can really get out of control. So was kinda backing off that idea.

Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. What I was thinking was keeping the beta for now in the tank. Was planning on small group of neons (3/4). Do u like neons over tetras? Plus was thinking of Cory but wife wants shrimp. Not that I mind shrimp but I've read that they can really get out of control. So was kinda backing off that idea.

Sorry meant neons over guppies?

Lol
Guppies r easier to breed but neon tetras r more interesting (my opinion) . The shrimp will only eat out of hand if u have a sponge filter

Since shrimp babies r very tiny, a hob filter will suck them up and they r gone. So if u want to breed shrimp, get a sponge filter.

Thanks a bunch I like neons and so does wife but wife also wanted 2 fancytail guppies. What about snails? U like them? I can see this hobby getting out of hand quickly lol. My wife wants just a 2g tank for another beta. Lol

Thanks a bunch I like neons and so does wife but wife also wanted 2 fancytail guppies. What about snails? U like them? I can see this hobby getting out of hand quickly lol. My wife wants just a 2g tank for another beta. Lol

The guppies will be fine as well cuz they grow quite small. U may be able to fit snails in.
What type of substrate do u have? Sand or gravel?
A mystery snail may fit
Malaysian trumpets r another choice cuz they r small

The guppies will be fine as well cuz they grow quite small. U may be able to fit snails in.
What type of substrate do u have? Sand or gravel?
A mystery snail may fit
Malaysian trumpets r another choice cuz they r small

We have gravel and 3 live plants (didn't know if that would come into play or not).

Since shrimp babies r very tiny, a hob filter will suck them up and they r gone. So if u want to breed shrimp, get a sponge filter.

Btw what is a hob filter? We do have a filter on the intake of filter. Wife was afraid that since we will b adding small fish they would get sucked up. ?

Back
Top Bottom