Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cedezj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I look forward to learning more about everything aquarium on this site. This is my third aquarium.

It, s a 20 gallon. Been having some water issues setting up that I've never had before. (I have only used public water before this)Using well water that is extremely hard, and the ph was up in the stratosphere after I put the water in the tank. Did a mix of 50-50 tap water and reverse osmosis water and ph went down to 7.0-7.2. Now I put in a little fish food to get some bacteria growing, and now the tank is cloudy, so I have to figure that out.

It, s a 20 gallon. Been having some water issues setting up that I've never had before. (I have only used public water before this)Using well water that is extremely hard, and the ph was up in the stratosphere after I put the water in the tank. Did a mix of 50-50 tap water and reverse osmosis water and ph went down to 7.0-7.2. Now I put in a little fish food to get some bacteria growing, and now the tank is cloudy, so I have to figure that out.

Welcome to AA. :). Water cloudiness is common when starting a new freshwater tank. Its usually caused by bacteria growth explosions. This can be solved by feeding less food and less often. I had that in my 20 gal as well. Stayed cloudy for a week or so.:banghead:

Ok thanks. Was getting concerned but didn't want to add chemicals.

Just thought I'd touch base with you. Tank cleared in about 3 days and has been crystal clear since! I have been using a combo of tap and reverse osmosis water because that tempers the water hardness very well. (Have well water with a lot of lime...water is hard as a brick! Lol) got a couple of mollies, a few mickey mouse platys, 4 zebra danios and 2 spotted cats. The fish are growing, tank looks beautiful and my blood pressure is lower! (From watching the fish!) Thanks again for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom