Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seaman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have always been a big fan aquariums ever since I was small. But never had one because my parents were not quite the enthusiasts themselves. Now as a grown man I have recently decided to take the plunge and start an aquarium myself. I would appreciate any help or advice you can share. Like wise I will do my best to help share what I observe as well.

Thanks,

Welcome to AA!

What size tank do you have, stock, planted?
I have a 50 gallon community and a 29 gallon planted
Welcome to AA!

Tank Description

I have 55 a gallon freshwater tank. Here's a pic.

I have the following in there

1 African Dwarf Frog
1 Paddletail newt
1 Fiddler crab
1 3-4 inch shrimp - Don't know the name
1 redtail shark
2 german blue rams
2 dwarf gouramis
1 Leaf fish
1 gold ocara

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 100
Welcome & nice tank! First thing every newbie gets asked.....do you have an API liquid test kit?

I have 55 a gallon freshwater tank. Here's a pic.

I have the following in there

1 African Dwarf Frog
1 Paddletail newt
1 Fiddler crab
1 3-4 inch shrimp - Don't know the name
1 redtail shark
2 german blue rams
2 dwarf gouramis
1 Leaf fish
1 gold ocara

Oh sorry :/ lol
Unfortunately, you have Some issues
The ADF needs a height max of 12 inches the 55 gallon is too tall, it will get tired from having to travel all the way up
The fiddler crab needs to come out of the water, what I do is I lower the water level by like 2 inches and I have a tall decoration where they climb out on top of the water
The red tail shark will eat your shrimp and might kill your frog and rams
The leaf fish when it grows might become too aggressive for the DG's
Sorry to break it to you:(

Aquarium Stock

Oh sorry :/ lol
Unfortunately, you have Some issues
The ADF needs a height max of 12 inches the 55 gallon is too tall, it will get tired from having to travel all the way up
The fiddler crab needs to come out of the water, what I do is I lower the water level by like 2 inches and I have a tall decoration where they climb out on top of the water
The red tail shark will eat your shrimp and might kill your frog and rams
The leaf fish when it grows might become too aggressive for the DG's
Sorry to break it to you:(

Thanks for the advice

You have confirmed my suspicions on the red tail sharks aggression, he seems to be getting bigger and meaner. He'll be the perfect fish for my buddys tank. You can't tell from the picture but the rock comes out the water about 1 inch, and behind the rock is a floating turtle dock. I've seen the crab do his wave the claw dance many times on it. Do you think taller plants (eg. sword plants) could help the dwarf frog when he swims up for air. He seems to be doing fine so far. I'll keep an eye on the leaf I've had him for only 2 weeks, he seem's like a shy character, taking refuge in the darker corners in the driftwood

Thanks for the advice

You have confirmed my suspicions on the red tail sharks aggression, he seems to be getting bigger and meaner. He'll be the perfect fish for my buddys tank. You can't tell from the picture but the rock comes out the water about 1 inch, and behind the rock is a floating turtle dock. I've seen the crab do his wave the claw dance many times on it. Do you think taller plants (eg. sword plants) could help the dwarf frog when he swims up for air. He seems to be doing fine so far. I'll keep an eye on the leaf I've had him for only 2 weeks, he seem's like a shy character, taking refuge in the darker corners in the driftwood

Yea, no red tail shark in there or leaf fish
Good thing about the crab, you should get more!
You can add some kuhli loaches for the bottom
Keep an eye on the frog, is he struggling to get up to the surface?

Aquarium Stock

Yea, no red tail shark in there or leaf fish
Good thing about the crab, you should get more!
You can add some kuhli loaches for the bottom
Keep an eye on the frog, is he struggling to get up to the surface?

The frog isn't struggling to get to the surface, I have had him for about 1 and a half months and he looks healthy. He's even grown a bit too. One thing I do notice is that one of his most favorite spots to relax happens to be the floating aquarium plants that become free from the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom