Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have 120 gallon tank with 4 orandas, a comet and 7 Cory cats. It has been set up for 3 years.

I had reef tanks for several years but got too involved and was mixing and airating 30 gallons of salt water in a garbage can every week. I decided to go down to one freshwater tank and gave my prized fish and corals to my son-in-law. Don't worry, they are doing great.

Recently ran into a couple of problems and happened upon this site. It is great to be here!

You sure can. You will find pictures attached to the next two posts.

I had reef tanks for several years. I was making and aerating 30 gallons of saltwater a week. My husband put it on a homemade, wheeled platform that I could use to pump the water into the tanks, but that still left me carrying 5 gallon bucket fulls of siphoned water to the drain. It just started killing my back. So I gave all of my prized coral and fishes to my son-in-law. They are all doing well except for my Maroons. The female was very large and I felt that he put them in too small of a tank with too much liverock. The female passed away first and her mate a couple of months later. They were beautiful and it was a great loss.

I kept my 120 gallon tank and went freshwater. It has been set up like this for 3 years. It is set up as follows:

Hanging T-8 lighting system.
1 half of eggcrate grid on each side to keep the cats from fishing (once flopped one out onto the floor).
Fluval FX5 filter - 1st stage; charcoal with coarse polishing pad. 2cnd stage; biomedia. 3rd stage; biomedia with fine polishing pad.
2-airaiting stones, which won't stay anchored.

Liivestock:
1 - large 6-1/2" to 7" orange oranda
1 - large orange and white oranda with beautiful wen
2 - lionhead orandas
1 - comet, rehomed for a friend
1- large plecostomous, soon to go bye-bye. Read on to find out why.
7- cory catfish; 2 different types.

I desperately want two panda orandas, but the LFS can't seem to get them in.

Decorations:
1-Large sunken ship with two halves.
2-Large rocks.
3-4 pieces of drift wood.

Plants:
Java fern.
Anubius

I came across Aquarium Advice when I was searching for information about two of my fish. A few months ago, an eye disappeared from my white and orange Lionhead. Last week he developed a bloody eye bubble, that has since popped and he does seems to have some sight left since that time. Then my large orange oranda started appearing with large white spots on one side and a long vertical line on the other side that was missing the scales.

I have already gotten so much help here. I am working with the moderator from the, "Freshwater - Unhealthy Fish" forum. I uploaded the pictures of both for him/her. He/she said that the spots on the side of the orange oranda had actually grown back and were translucent. She is concerned about the vertical line. She asked about fighting behavior but he is the largest fish in the tank and they all get along fine. She also wants me to watch for breeding behavior.

We both agree that the large plecostomous is probably guilty for the missing and bloody eye. I am trying to get hold of my LFS to make arrangements to take return him for store credit. It is going to be hard to catch him. I will probably have to take everything out :(

I love this place! Here come the pics.......probably in two posts.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 83
Here are the rest:

Please excuse the algae on the back and left side of tank. It is a deep and wide tank. My arms are too short to reach, so my hubby has to do it. It has been awhile since I have talked him into it.

He likes my fish, but is not attached to them. When my orange Oranda swallowed a rock, I was hysterical! I tried to get it out with tweezers but ended up pushing it into his tummy. My husband said, "Well if he is dumb enough to eat a rock). I said, "That's what they do, suck them in and spit them out looking for food". Anyway, once the rock was in his tummy, he managed to work it up and spit it out.

Sorry for the rambling......very bad habit. Thanks for having me here. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 72
Here are the rest:

Please excuse the algae on the back and left side of tank. It is a deep and wide tank. My arms are too short to reach, so my hubby has to do it. It has been awhile since I have talked him into it.

He likes my fish, but is not attached to them. When my orange Oranda swallowed a rock, I was hysterical! I tried to get it out with tweezers but ended up pushing it into his tummy. My husband said, "Well if he is dumb enough to eat a rock). I said, "That's what they do, suck them in and spit them out looking for food". Anyway, once the rock was in his tummy, he managed to work it up and spit it out.

Sorry for the rambling......very bad habit. Thanks for having me here. :)

Nice goldfish. I notice one of them is missing an eye. What happened?

While getting confirmation from my LFS to return the plecostamous, I of course ended up bringing home some new tank members: 1 small red cap oranda, 1 small calico oranda and 6 more Cory cats.

Nice tank. I like this guy
attachment.php

Too bad about that one fish's eye.

Ya, it killed me when I found him like that. I should have taken back Sucky (plecostamous immediately after that)! Have already talked to LFS. They are only going to give me $5.00 for him. They said they have too many because people bring them back when they close their ponds. That is funny, because I only I only saw 1-3 footer and 1-4 footer in their pleco tank. Because of his size, they will probably get $25 to $30 dollars for him, but he has to go and I don't have anywhere else to take him.

I can't seem to go to LFS without buying fish so ended up with 1 redcap oranda, 1 calico lionhead and 6 more Cory cats. I love watching the Cory cats school around. Anyway, by the time I left, I had spent $60. $14.99 for each each oranda and they were very small. Their prices are high, but it is the only dependable, dedicated LFS in my area unless I go to Indy which is 2 hours away. I will not buy from local pet store. There are always dead fish in their tanks and there prices are about the same and the fish are even smaller.

Back
Top Bottom