hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msfreakie1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi,, what i know about the right things to do to keep healthy fish would fit in the eye of a needle!!
i have tried in vain to keep my tetras alive only to see them die 1by1 each time i cleaned the tank!
now i have 5 black mollies, 4 sucker fish, and 2 blue mystery snails,, i got them all 1 week ago. i am enjoying watching them, but am afraid they will begin to die as soon as i clean the tank!
:0(

hi,, what i know about the right things to do to keep healthy fish would fit in the eye of a needle!!
i have tried in vain to keep my tetras alive only to see them die 1by1 each time i cleaned the tank!
now i have 5 black mollies, 4 sucker fish, and 2 blue mystery snails,, i got them all 1 week ago. i am enjoying watching them, but am afraid they will begin to die as soon as i clean the tank!
:0(

Hello welcome,

How do you clean the tank?

i have a battery operated siphon and i clean the rocks at bottom with that. i normally change aprox 1/4 of the water. i have additives that i put in: Fluval biological enhancer, Fluval biological cleaner, Aqueon water conditioner, and AquaSafe plus (monthy). my water temp stays at aprox 82 degrees.

i have a battery operated siphon and i clean the rocks at bottom with that. i normally change aprox 1/4 of the water. i have additives that i put in: Fluval biological enhancer, Fluval biological cleaner, Aqueon water conditioner, and AquaSafe plus (monthy). my water temp stays at aprox 82 degrees.

It looks like you are doing the water changes right.
Did you cycle your tank?
And it also wouldn't hurt to turn the temperature down to 78 or 79 degrees.

i am ashamed to say that i have never even heard of cycling till i got in this site,, and still don't know what it is or how to do it!
guess you vould say i'm as helpless as a fish outta water!!

i am ashamed to say that i have never even heard of cycling till i got in this site,, and still don't know what it is or how to do it!
guess you vould say i'm as helpless as a fish outta water!!

Your not helpless you just need to do a little research first.
First off with all of the fish in the tank your cycle has probably already started.
To cycle your tank with your little experience it is a must to buy a test kit.
I highly recommend that you pick up the API Freshwater Liquid Master Test Kit.
It costs around $30 but it is really going to help you not just now but down the road as well.
Once you buy the test kit you can decide to cycle with the fish you have or do a fish less cycle which of course would mean finding a new home for your fish.
I would recommend that you do the fish less cycle. You probably don't want to part with your fish but it will be best for them.
But whether you decide to the cycle with your fish or without them. Do a ton of research on cycling and if you have any questions just come back and we'll help you!
Good luck!!

hi again,, since i joined here,, my black molly femsle has gad babies!! they are 3 weeks old today!!
also on the same day i discovered aprox 3 to 4 baby snails, too!
i never saw any eggs anywhere, (i have 2 adult mystery snails and i did see them mating before the babies arrived)
i am enjoying watching them all!
i know i will need to get another tank soon cause i counted at least 20 baby black molly fish!
:0)

i add to this sadly that 1 of my mystery snails has died!!
my black molly female had her 2nd set of babies,, now i have the 3 original adult black mollies, aprox 20 half grown fry from the 1st birthing, and aprox 20 little fry from the 2nd birthing! plus the 4 original platys (1 has tripled in size), plus mega numerous little pond snails.
i need some expert advise here,, the baby black mollies swarm around the mystery snail and appear to be nipping at him!! could this be why the other mystery snail died? are they killing this one, too? the snail will try to crawl away but they just follow him and keep nipping,, he will withdraw into his shell for a while, but the baby fish just keep poking at him under the shell!!
i am thinking of getting a small aquarium and moving my mystery snail into it and buying another so he has a friend!
any info/suggestions are greatly welcomed!

Back
Top Bottom