Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nyan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I'm new the forums, and while I've been doing lots of research on tropical tanks, I've come across this site a lot, so I've decided to make an account. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 3 female Guppies and 1 male Guppy, and a Chinese Sucker.

I also have recently acquired a 55 gallon tank that I am now cycling, and in the future I'm looking into maybe keeping some Angelfish and Clown Loaches. But to be honest, I don't know how to go about that right now, so I may be needing some advice later. But for now, I'll concentrate on cycling it.

Nice to meet you all :)

Im new to the site as well and just recently bought my first tank a 55gal as well! Welcome to the site and maybe we can swap advice!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice to meet you! Glad there's someone I can relate to. It's so exciting to have a big tank, and imagining what you can put in there. Do you have any idea of what you're looking to keep?

Right now I have four gouramis and 3 tiny tiger barbs, im not looking to really keep the tiger barbs simply because they only get about 3in and look so tiny in my tank. Im thinking about sticking with the pink gouramis and maybe going with a fre angel fish and silver dollars. This being my first tank I dont want to go too aggressive. I REALLY want like 3 jack dempsys but they are sooo aggressive im not sure im ready for that! Right now though im treating ich and hoping my poor little guys will live :/

I hope your fish turn out okay. ): Good luck with the ick. Sounds like you have a nice set-up right now though. I'm more attracted to the quieter fish, and the live-bearers. My grandfather used to breed guppies, which is why my 10 gallon has guppies. I'm rather partial to them and sword tails. Although I'm not sure either of them will get along with Angelfish, so I don't think I'll be keeping them in my 55 gallon.

Yeah im pretty happy with what I have right now! And I dont really know much about guppies. How big do they get? How many could you keep in a 55gal? This is my tank now! Before the blue ich dye. Please excuse the goofy paris background. I bought the tank with it on there and am having trouble getting it off haha :)

Attachments

• 1398495081235.jpg
    1398495081235.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 41
Wow, it looks awesome. I love the black gravel. It really brings out the colours of the plants and decorations. Have you tried eucalyptus oil to remove the stickers? Do you have eucalyptus oil where you are? I'm not even sure if they sell it outside Australia. It works really well with removing stickers and whatnot.

Here are my tanks; don't mind the mess. I'm leaving most of it out while I'm playing around with the tank and placement of things. I keep switching different decorations and plants between tanks while I'm cycling it. It'll take me a while to build up the plants I want in my 55g before I put fish in there.

Attachments

• SDC10363.jpg
    SDC10363.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 48
  • SDC10367.jpg
    SDC10367.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 65
Thanks! I actually just picked up the black gravel at my local walmart. I saw it and fell in love! The eucalyptus oil im not sure of. I will look tomorrow for sure though I hate them!

Your tanks look awesome

Oh, sorry, forgot to answer the guppy questions. They generally don't get very big. They don't get much bigger than 2 inches, if that. They can be a little nippy, although they're generally quiet fish. But because of their pretty colours and small size, some large fish like to chase and attack them. You have to be careful what you put with them.

The plants in your 55 are they plastic or real? And I need a small tank for quarantine! That would be really nice! Lol and for gravel, are you using pebbles? I love that look!

The plants are all real. :) I find that my fish like real plants a lot more. And for me, they're a lot easier to look after and replace. It also helps a lot with cycling the tank. The two little round balls in my 55 are marimo. I love them, and they look awesome in any tank. So long as none of your fish decide not to eat them. You get a lot of comments from visitors about them too.

Thanks! I just got some gravel from the local hardware store, washed it up a bit and put it in. It was a lot cheaper than anything from any of the pet shops around here, and it works just as well.

How cool! Im thinking about venturing into real plants. Can you just sit them on top of gravel?

You can put the roots of the plants in the gravel, and they're happy with that. And it keeps them grounded. Otherwise they'd just float around your tank. They're surprisingly buoyant. Or you can get already potted plants that you put into your tank without having to put them into the gravel. You can also grow all sorts of plants onto things like driftwood and mesh. It takes a while, but it looks great when done. It's all personal preference. :) If you look up "Aquascaping" and search the web a bit, it'll give you a good idea of what you can do with real plants and rocks in tanks.

Awesome thanks! As soon as we get over this ich I will try that!

Thanks and you as well!

Welcome to the forum Amie & Nyan. From reading your posts, you both are going to be great additions to our family. Lots of great people with a lot of learning information in here. I've made and enjoyed good fishy friends here and I'm sure you will too. Don't be afraid to ask questions and give us your ideas too. Again, welcome to AA. OS.

Thanks!! I have so much to learn and am really enjoying the fish world!

Thanks! :) So far some of the threads on this site have been really handy for answering most of my questions, so I'm really thankful for that!

Back
Top Bottom