Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thorina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I gather that it's general protocol around here to introduce oneself.

I am in the middle of doing a total tank refurb on a 125 gallon turtle tank while adding a 75 gallon tank and a 29 gallon tank to the livingroom.
The 125 gal tank has 2 red eared sliders, one I have had for 10+ years, the 75 gal tank has 1 female eastern box turtle, and the new 29 gal tank is going to be a decorative feeder tank for the turtles.
The 125 gal tank had basically nothing in it except a basking platform. I am about a year and a half into the replacement marineland canister filter that has been nothing but a PITA to deal with since I bought it. The old one worked flawlessly until it gave up the ghost.
Since I was adding another turtle tank, I decided a filtration "upgrade" was in order. I got a Hydro 150 and a Hydro 600. Neato system...hope they work as well as they look cool.
Time will tell.
I had a stand made for the 125 gal just so it would match the other 2 new stands and not look so hodge podge in my livingroom.
The 29 gal is just a run of the mill "kit" tank, Aqueon starter kind of dealio.
I chose a....basically a course sand for substrate in all 3 tanks. The turtle folks will go nuts about it, as it's really, really little gravel, essentially. But, the 2 sliders have always have gravel in their tank...usually regular aquarium gravel. They've been just fine. But, I heeded all the warnings, and at least went with a very fine "gravel/sand".
Sorry, I am just not a fan of empty bottom tanks in my livingroom.

During one of my many trips to the local aquarium shop, I fell in live with a "lobster".
That's how I ran across this site. Looking for info on how to care for one.
I want to do an "angry" tank. AKA A tank only a mother could love. :lol:
I bought the lobster. Yes, I know it's a crayfish, but will continue to call it a lobster. Lobster sounds so much cooler than owning a crayfish.
I ran across a multi page story about a fella with a blue lobster.
AWE! So sad at the end.
The lobster (female) and a giant pleco are waiting for me at the aquarium shop. I am not ready for them yet. The pleco will go in with the 2 sliders, the lobster will go in with the box turtle.
The picture below is what it looked like as of Saturday night. The filter for the 75 gal kinda kicked my rear most of the day yesterday, so I didn't get as much done yesterday as I'd hoped.

img_3020429_0_4459603052745752e8858a8f940f8e3b.jpg

The 2 sliders are currently in a 55 gal "FEMA Emergency housing" while their new habitat is being built. (you can see the top of it bottom left)
The middle tank is the 75 gal box turtle tank. I am working out some kinks in a platform system I built for her so she can have max land sq footage and some water. Yes, box turtles can swim. This one particularly likes to swim.

Anyway....hello. :wave:

Hi Thorina,

Welcome to AA! I really like the idea of a lobster. Having that name does sound a little cooler than Crayfish. I wish I can own a Orange Mexican dwarf Cray in AZ, but unfortunately all crayfish are banned here. Good luck with your angry tank and others. :)

Thanks!

Today I began the process of stocking the tanks. The 2 turtle tanks won't have much in them, but I did add a little, though I know their days might be numbered.

img_3022395_0_dc09677e309106c6eb0439c920e5c9e1.jpg

3 aquatic frogs, 2 are albino
6 something or 'nother loaches (look like striped snake/eel things)
3 dozen minnows
5 assorted large mollies
5 tiny orange somethings, looks kind of like mollies, but aren't
2 tiny plecostomus fish, one black, one grey spotted
1 big, feisty nasty *** tetra of some sort
6 neon tetras

Neon tetras were the reason I bought my first fish tank set up some 25+ years ago. The aquatic run ended up being 800 gal of tank in the house and another 600++ gal in the garage with feeder/breeding fancy guppies.
I am going to try not to get quite so *involved* this time around. :brows:

Back
Top Bottom