hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thing fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
recently got back into fish keeping after a couple years hiatus. i am currently fish-in cycling a 20 gallon long. i am just over 3 weeks into the process using a single feeder gold fish. i have been doing 75% water changes nearly every day to keep the ammonia/nitrites down.

just today, i was able to get some beneficial bacteria from an established tank and added it to mine. i wish i had done this 3 weeks ago, but oh well.

i am planning to rehome the gold fish in a friend's farm pond once the cycle is complete and am contemplating stocking ideas. also plan to grow some plants but am waiting for a new light fixture to arrive in the mail.

just wanted to say hello and do the whole intro thing. will start a new thread for questions on my tank.

thanks

ammonia yesterday was zero...it had been at .25 for a week (with daily water changes). nitrites tested at 4. will test later tonight to see if the bacteria have had an effect.

i do use prime to treat the water and have not been going more than 2 days without a 75% water change. the guy from the fish store told me to stop changing the water so frequently but im only going to cut back once those nitrites read 0. i dont care if it takes longer. not trying to torture this feeder gold fish.

here is a video clip of the tank. i posted it in my other thread, as well. currently trying to decide which fish to stock it with and debating whether to keep the gold fish in my 46 or move him to my friend's pond.

http://vid568.photobucket.com/albums/ss130/gelauck/20%20gallon%20long/MOV07300_zpse7944f3f.mp4

alright so i went to my local fish store 2 days ago and was able to grab some bacteria. they just squeezed out a couple sponges into a bag for me and i dumped it into my tank.

yesterday i tested the parameters and got the following:

ammonia 0
nitrites 2 ish

today i tested again:

ammonia 0
nitrites .25
nitrates call it 7

wooooohooooo!!!! i know i am not cycled yet but darn if i am not super close!

happy to say that my tank is finally cycled!

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrates under 10

i purchased a few live plants yesterday and am starting to replace the fake plants.

Back
Top Bottom