Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you :)

My tank is not planted. Maybe someday.... :p Not ready for that yet. We use sand.

Originally the catfish were going to be with our male betta (if he didn't get along with them we were going to have him in a 5g), but very sadly he passed mid October after getting dropsy :( We miss him so much. So we never had a chance to find out if he would get along with the pygmy catfish.

We went to return some medicine we never opened to use for him, and my hubby saw this sweet little female betta, and we had to have her (apparently I was telling him we should adopt her like 15 times lol). While our boy could never be replaced, we wanted to give this sweet girl a home. So she came home with us... and we had her in a 1g plastic tank temporarily, it was never meant to be permanent don't worry!, we bought it because we didn't want her in a tiny cup/container EVER again (wish I hadn't spent money on that, it was used for maybe 24 hrs and is in the closet now) in a warmer part of the house that turned out to not be as warm in the water as we thought even tho the room temp was good, so she floated in a cup in the 5g tank with the catfish (this was all temporary while we tested the cycle in the 10g that our betta boy had been living in), and she kept tipping in so I said to heck with it and let her in there with the pygmy catfish. She basically left them alone in the 5g. :) They were in there together maybe 3-5 days?

Then we moved them to the 10g when it was ready, and the first day she did nip at a catfish's tail when he was hiding under a fake plant (I liken that to a dog chasing a hiding cat lol) but since then we have not observed any mean behavior. Of course we keep an eye on that, and should she be aggressive, we will have to put her into our 5g tank.

Sorry for the long reply lol but there you have it :)

Dragon - I'm sorry to here about your male but I'm glad you found another gorgeous betta. That's kinda how it ended up with my purchase of my latter 3, walked into the store and couldn't resist.

Hickoryboy - I believe that if you get the right type of substrate you can place it on top and it will work its way down but you would have tondona little more research on that

KryinMunkee13, thank you so much. I am considering upgrading to a bigger tank, but nontheless I will definetly look into that.

In NY opinion planted tanks look much better. As well as providing great cover for fish that is soft and doesn't damage fins, adds CO2 naturally so you don't need to add much if any and helps with the overall well being of the habitat. And substrate is the way to keep your plants healthy

Thank you for that information, I love the look of the live plants. I did not choose good ones. :-( And I do not have enough plants in my tank. Live and learn I guess. I will surely need to get some more. Now which ones to get?? LOL

Thank you. He was our little buddy. We miss him a lot. I have videos and pics of him though, so, good memories :)

Yeah, fish can be hard to resist. I shouldn't look at bettas anymore because I'll want to adopt more and I don't have room for a bunch of tanks lol. But I can't help it, I like bettas a lot... :)

We haven't named the female yet. We care about her a lot, but, we were so attached to our boy and we just aren't ready to name her yet. I call her Miss Betta and Miss Fish lol. Can't really name the catfish. They all look the same for the most part.

Make sure when you get plants to know how tall they will get so you don't place a tall one in the front. But remember that you can always up root and rearrange if need be, no harm done to the plants

As for more betta, there is always room. I am building a stand to house four 5g tanks. Essentially a side-by-side double tank stand.

We have very little space. But I would like another betta at some point :)

That's awesome about your stand!!!! :)

I will probably be posting a thread on the build so keep an eye out for that if you want. I will post the title in this thread so you know when it comes

Check out the "Show off your betta(s)!!" Feed in the aquarium showroom category in browse

I am having trouble finding it. You could post a direct link here maybe. See the tiny # sign with a number right next to it? Click on that on the new post you made, right click on it, then click copy link location. Then paste that here :)

Back
Top Bottom