Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hickoryboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, my name is Richard and I am new to having fish. I have recently set up a 29 gal freshwater tank. Any advise or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and I look forwarding to getting to know everyone.

Hello and welcome!

Is the tank cycled?

I am new to fish keeping myself, but I am learning things over time! :)

Hi, thanks for the welcome! I am sure it has not cycled through yet. My tank has only be up and running for one week now. However my levels are looking good and it seems to be going pretty good. What type of fish do you have in your tank?

You're welcome!

Ours took about 20 days to cycle.

We have one female betta who is very cute and 6 Pygmy Cory catfish in our 10g tank. The catfish are so cute! So small though. And we have black sand so they're hard to see when on the sand. We didn't really think that through when getting the sand lol.

We had 7 catfish but we found one had passed away in the tank last night. May have been there a day or two :(

They are! We wanted bigger ones but pygmys are all that should really be in a 10g. They're so cute... Their little faces just make me go awwwwwww.

Yes sorry the fish keeping! My wife was hesitant and now we are both anxious to set up a saltwater tank also!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's ok! :)

Hubby had the idea to get fish.. And here we are! Hehe.

Oo saltwater would be fun! We want to try it someday. Not anytime soon though. Our 10g is enough for us for now :)

Yes they are! I am really enjoying watching each of their personalities come out!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes!!

They certainly do have personality.

Our Pygmy catfish are cute and fun to watch, but I'm not sure if we'll get to see much individual personality with them as you would with bigger fish.

Either way, I enjoy them :)

I'm glad both of you are really enjoying your new aquatic lives. It is a hobby that my dad, brother and I are hooked on and will never give up.

As for cycling , a complete cycle will probably take about 2-3 weeks but the water and filter should be safe for fish after about a week. Remember that once fish are in the water you must do water changes frequently, about ever third day for the 29g and every second day for the 10g. And make sure to be using dechlorinator if using tap water.

Are either of your tanks planted?

And as a betta owner (x4) I am curious to know how your betta is handling being in a tank with your catfish, being an aggressive, territorial fish (females not as much as males, however).

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do you have as ground covering and what type of lighting are you using?

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just have regular aquarium gravel (if that is what you mean by fround cover) and the lighting is what came with the tank which is led daytime and moonlight options

Back
Top Bottom