Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello, and welcome. I am planning on getting plants and fish into my 55g and I can show you the list for ideas. Also rams are great as long as you don't have shrimp. Here's the list:
Chili rasboras
pygmy spotted rasbora
ember tetra
otos
honey gourami
green spot betta
salt and pepper cory cats
green cory cats
endlers
killifish

Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbarb27 View Post
No advice on the guppy but wanted to comment on the plants. I have several low light planted tanks using just T-8 bulbs and my plants have flourished - java fern, wisteria/water sprite, anubius, anacharis, aponogeton (bulb plant) and prolific amazon swords. The swords are root feeders, so root tabs help a lot. The only thing I've not had good luck with is crypts, which are also low light plants. So don't rule out a variety of plants because of low lights.

Welcome to the hobby. It's addicting!
Is it ever lol So what kind of substrate are you using and have you been using additives to help the plants? Im still working out the list of fish id like to have, but i was hoping to get more of a natural sand substrate going. The java plants dont get planted in the substrate anyways, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finntastic View Post
Hello, and welcome. I am planning on getting plants and fish into my 55g and I can show you the list for ideas. Also rams are great as long as you don't have shrimp. Here's the list:
Chili rasboras
pygmy spotted rasbora
ember tetra
otos
honey gourami
green spot betta
salt and pepper cory cats
green cory cats
endlers
killifish
Thanks! Killifish is one i havent had a chance to look into yet but based off a quick google image search they do seem to have some nice colour and are at least bigger than these guppies lol Im not sure if flame tetras are the same as your ember tetras, but i like what ive found of the flame variety's colouring. So have you had your betta long? I know the issues most betta have in groups so i was probably going to try and find a docile one to see how it would do. But that plan also was going to have a spare 10 gallon on hand just incase lol

Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The more i come back to the bolivian ram, the more i like it. So id say thats likely what ill build my tank around. Ive also heard good things about cory catfish so id like to get a smaller school of them as well in a nice color pattern. The rest idk.. I know im getting towards the top end of this tank soon but maybe i could work in a school of fancy guppies in too. Males only with whatever cool colours i can find (i really like the leopard kinda styled one in the current tank, so i might steal it... lol)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

In my low light tanks I use pool filter sand as a substrate. It's inexpensive and easy to clean and I think it looks very natural with the plants. If you use it, wash/rinse it really well first!

I supplement with seachem flourish and flourish trace, as well as root tabs for the swords but no CO2 or macro ferts. Growth is steady but not too fast, so very little trimming is needed. Biggest issue is removing diatoms and occasional algea from the larger leaves of the plants and figuring out what to do with all of the baby swords/java ferns. I prefer to understock fish, which keeps everything fairly manageable for maintenance.

The java ferns do best if you don't bury the rhizome. I've tied mine to small flat stones, driftwood or clay pots and eventually the roots attach and you can remove the thread. I've seen suggestions to use glue to attach the plants but I've had decent luck with thread. The wisteria and anubias can float or be planted.

P.S. I have two 29G tanks and a school of corys in each and they are my favorite fish to watch.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Daven, I haven't gotten any of those fish yet, it is a long term plan. I have kept multiple bettas and 4 of the 5 have been kept in community tanks and were fine. As for the ember tetras, they are a small schooling fish but are a red color and look amazing in a planted tanks because of the color the more embers the better, but they are not flame tetras.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbarb27 View Post
In my low light tanks I use pool filter sand as a substrate. It's inexpensive and easy to clean and I think it looks very natural with the plants. If you use it, wash/rinse it really well first!

I supplement with seachem flourish and flourish trace, as well as root tabs for the swords but no CO2 or macro ferts. Growth is steady but not too fast, so very little trimming is needed. Biggest issue is removing diatoms and occasional algea from the larger leaves of the plants and figuring out what to do with all of the baby swords/java ferns. I prefer to understock fish, which keeps everything fairly manageable for maintenance.

The java ferns do best if you don't bury the rhizome. I've tied mine to small flat stones, driftwood or clay pots and eventually the roots attach and you can remove the thread. I've seen suggestions to use glue to attach the plants but I've had decent luck with thread. The wisteria and anubias can float or be planted.

P.S. I have two 29G tanks and a school of corys in each and they are my favorite fish to watch.

Not Anubias, with Anubias, you *can* plant the roots but not the rhizome. It can also be tied down as well though.

Caleb
Old 05-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

@Finntastic, what is a "green spot betta"? I wouldn't do bettas with other fish......
“A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal” Proverbs 12:10
A bible verse about pets!
Anders247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green spot betta. Betta brownorum — Seriously Fish
Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
Not Anubias, with Anubias, you *can* plant the roots but not the rhizome. It can also be tied down as well though.

Caleb
Oops - I meant to say anacharis stems can be buried or can float. Agreed that anubias rhizome shouldn't be buried - I tie mine to flat rocks. Sorry!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, i was thinking i could glue or fasten another way to another rock to get it in the open more. We will see what the tank i get has as far as a hood, but im guessing ill want to stay with low lights since the rest brings in a whole new level of maitnence it seems. Too bad most of the low light plants look more like weeds then the farther up ones :P

Im sure once i get a happy tank set up i will likely try and find a docile betta that we like. Id love to have a nicely coloured male, but they are picky when it comes to getting along with tank mates. I think even if i found a carefree one, these little guppies would bug him until he snapped :P And ill look into the ember ones as well then! I just always had a thing for fish and such that resembled flame colouring so thats why i thought about the flames. I asume they wouldnt look quite so perfectly coloured in the odd fish store anyways :/

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com