Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
G'Day to you all.

I'm 67 retired since June 14. We recently did the downsize and sold the house to move into an apartment. I kept a 55 & 75 gal aquarium years ago but moved and never bothered to set them up again. We always had a dog and cats and don't feel like we would like to keep them while living in an apartment. Just doesn't seem right to me. So I'm looking to start up a tank again.

Space will not allow a big tank, so here are the specs I would like to work with:

40 gallon tall tank L 30" x H 22" x W 12" and I'll have to spring for a furniture grade stand because the wife won't like a metal stand.
I already have a Rena XP2 filter system new. AAP-Rena Filstar Aquarium Filter | XP1 & XP2 & XP3 & XP4 | Parts

No decision made on heater yet.
Substrate - minimum amount, 1 layer of larger 3/4" polished pebbles just to cover the bottom.

No live plants but some artificial plants for one corner farthest away from the filter.

Fish desired, school of ~15 Serpae Tetra, 2 Discus both of which I have kept before and have experience with. Plus a cat and a pleco with a couple of other community type fish but not to over crowd.

Lighting; I can see much has changed while researching the hobby. Most particularly lighting options. I am on a retired budget but I think I can spring for a BeamsWork or Finnex LED system. But that's where all my questions begin.

How am I doing so far. What else should I know or haven't thought of. I look forward to scouring the forum pages and any comments for advice.

Thank you ......Bill

welcome bill ,
glad you found us I see you want to start a 40g nice size tank , the only thing I would suggest a 40 breeder 36Lx16Hx18W instead , you'll get a nicer foot print and I think you might be more happy with it , but what ever you choose I'm sure you'll have it looking nice in no time.
I know the retired budget quite well I Was forced to retire , I was 42 due to cancer ,
I thought I had it beat but it kept coming back, they got it stable now were it don't spread but just knowing isn't a great feeling,
I just put my mind on better things like my tanks I'm coming up on 53 ,
I have so much time to do things I enjoy but yes I do miss the work force,
look forward to seeing your tank once your up and going

Last edited:
Thank you Seaweed.

On the tank size my wife is only allowing me 30" of the living room ); I know what you mean though that extra length adds a lot more to the dynamics of the fish. On the other hand I wonder if she still knows the difference for 6" (blush, typed it and re-read it and heck I left it the way it is).

So over 30" it looked to me that the largest tank I could poke in was a tall 40. My wife is all for it and we had enjoyed 2 larger tanks in our first home. I'm thinking the more I work on her for a bit more space that would certainly be my choice.

I can see why you would enjoy the peace of fish tanks with your life's experience. Tough battle but you're winning it. I can tell you when I kept my previous tanks I would watch those tanks more than my TV.

I do have a couple of questions:

Do these new LED lights change the story on algae or is it still a battle of adjusting lights etc.?

And what do you think of going with minimum large size polished stones just enough to cover the bottom? I've always thought deeper gravel made diseases more prevalent.

Thanks for answering .......Bill

I never had a issue with algae with my leds , it's more the excess nutrients that draws the algae ,

That is good news about LED lights thank you.

Which brand do you use? Or perhaps you could recommend one to me, The choices are very confusing, many brands and varied prices. I guess it is still part of the story - you get what you pay for.

I kept 2 large discus in a 55 gal tank, hoping to breed them. I did get them to lay eggs but none were fertile. I never knew whether I had a pair though!

I had problems with algae in this tank because of incandescent lighting and the high temps I was keeping the tank. I was also feeding live food so I imagine the debris and the heat was the cause. Something to correct in the future.

Back
Top Bottom