Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorlovesfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My name is Taylor and, until just last week, I had never had any interest in pet fish. However, my younger brother lost interest in his aquarium after many of his fish died. Now, I am in love with all my fish and can't wait to give them everything they need!
Right now, I have 4 male dwarf gourami, 2 male african dwarf frogs, 3 albino cories (not sure of the gender), 2 nerite snails, and 5 ghost shrimp. All in a 10 gallon (thank you, little brother :/ ). Right now, I am saving up to buy a 20 gallon and all new supplies. I'm not sure what it is, but my brother has managed to cover the filter and heater in crusty white stuff?
Anyways! I am saving up to buy a suitable home for them, but I am new at this, so I will probably have lots of questions and any advice is welcome!
I look forward to talking to you all! (y) :thanks:

My name is Taylor and, until just last week, I had never had any interest in pet fish. However, my younger brother lost interest in his aquarium after many of his fish died. Now, I am in love with all my fish and can't wait to give them everything they need!
Right now, I have 4 male dwarf gourami, 2 male african dwarf frogs, 3 albino cories (not sure of the gender), 2 nerite snails, and 5 ghost shrimp. All in a 10 gallon (thank you, little brother :/ ). Right now, I am saving up to buy a 20 gallon and all new supplies. I'm not sure what it is, but my brother has managed to cover the filter and heater in crusty white stuff?
Anyways! I am saving up to buy a suitable home for them, but I am new at this, so I will probably have lots of questions and any advice is welcome!
I look forward to talking to you all! (y) :thanks:
Welcome to AA!
The crusty stuff is probably from hard water, you'll just need an aquarium safe srcubber to get it off. It's common, I have to scrape weekly at minimum to keep it under control. It sounds like you know the tank is overstocked. Do you have a water test kit? The fish may be dying from ammonia poisoning.

Welcome to AA!
The crusty stuff is probably from hard water, you'll just need an aquarium safe srcubber to get it off. It's common, I have to scrape weekly at minimum to keep it under control. It sounds like you know the tank is overstocked. Do you have a water test kit? The fish may be dying from ammonia poisoning.
I agree with AA about the overstocked tank. Your new tank is going to probability need a larger filter too. I recommend that for your new 20 gallon tank that you get a filter that is rated for a 30 gallon tank. Once it's all set up, it will need to be cycled before you put the fish in. You already have beneficial bacteria in you current tank to seed the new tank, just add a handful of gravel from the 10 gallon tank. Make sure you get some chlorine and chloramine remover from your pet shop to make the new tank safe before adding the seeded gravel from the 10 gallon tank. Once the filter and heater are all up and running. Make sure that you get a test kit that at least tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. Then hit us back up for further instructions before adding fish to the new tank. Your heater should be between 78 and 82 degrees.

Welcome to AA!

Thank you! I was so worried I was going to have to throw them both out and buy two new ones.
And yes, I was under the impression the tank is overstocked. I used AqAdvisor (I'm not sure how reliable that site is) and put in all the information in it. Right now, I'm doing 2 25% water changes a week (as recommended by AqAdvisor) and I pick up all the leftover food. I do have a pH tester and an ammonia tester, and at first, the pH level was in the 8's and the ammonia level was at .05% I believe. Now, the pH is around 7.6 and the ammonia is less than 0.02%, but I have not checked them this week.

I agree with AA about the overstocked tank. Your new tank is going to probability need a larger filter too. I recommend that for your new 20 gallon tank that you get a filter that is rated for a 30 gallon tank. Once it's all set up, it will need to be cycled before you put the fish in. You already have beneficial bacteria in you current tank to seed the new tank, just add a handful of gravel from the 10 gallon tank. Make sure you get some chlorine and chloramine remover from your pet shop to make the new tank safe before adding the seeded gravel from the 10 gallon tank. Once the filter and heater are all up and running. Make sure that you get a test kit that at least tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. Then hit us back up for further instructions before adding fish to the new tank. Your heater should be between 78 and 82 degrees.

Yes, I am aware that the tank is overstocked! I do have both pH and ammonia testers, but I don't have anything for nitrites or nitrates. Thank you for the help!

"Yes, I am aware that the tank is overstocked! I do have both pH and ammonia testers, but I don't have anything for nitrites or nitrates. Thank you for the help!"

The best test kit is called API Freshwater Master Test Kit, you can get it online or at a pet shop. Much cheaper online. If you are using strips they are not usually accurate. You want to have zero Ammonia, zero Nitrite and some NitRate readings for a fully cycled tank. :)

Yes, I am aware that the tank is overstocked! I do have both pH and ammonia testers, but I don't have anything for nitrites or nitrates. Thank you for the help!
"Yes, I am aware that the tank is overstocked! I do have both pH and ammonia testers, but I don't have anything for nitrites or nitrates. Thank you for the help!"

The best test kit is called API Freshwater Master Test Kit, you can get it online or at a pet shop. Much cheaper online. If you are using strips they are not usually accurate. You want to have zero Ammonia, zero Nitrite and some NitRate readings for a fully cycled tank. :)
There's a great new test kit for smartphones called JPL Pro Scan. It comes with an app to downtown and is extremely accurate. I saw it online for about $27.00.

Back
Top Bottom