Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjm1089

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I'm new here as I figured I could benefit from some expert guidance. I have two 10 gallon tanks and one 30 gallon. (FW) Two have been established for over a year and only have a few fish and plants.

I've heard of the benefits of almond leaf for bettas but wonder if the activated carbon in my filter will negate them? Is it possible to have a carbon filter and almond leaves? Or is it doable to go without carbon?

Thanks for your help!

Yes activated carbon will remove the tannins in the water.

The IAL will turn water yellow/ golden/ or brownish, similar to tea.

Carbon is only active for a short time anywhere up to 7-14 days. What I have read it loses its ability to remove things after that.

You really do not need to add it. If it comes in the filter pad you can slit the side and shake it out.

edit:
And welcome to the community!!!

Water changes are usually 20% per week as an average just to keep some fresher water in the system.

There can be reasons to do water changes differently. Like shrimp tank with sensitive shrimp would be very small pwc but more often.

Breeding tank needing no changes because the fish don't like being bothered, or tons of fresh water cause spawning, or baby fish tank, fry eating 5 -6 times a day, much more water changed and much more frequently.

I don't use carbon unless a specific reason pops up for it.

My tanks smell like healthy water.

Sometimes fish food gets stuck on the edges of the rims and under them and that might smell. (clean it)

Otherwise a healthy tank which gets routine maintenance should be fine.

The big leaves can be added by cutting in long strips - say 1-2 inches wide, so you do not have to deal with one gigantic leaf covering 1/4 of your tank!

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom