Hello! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishi8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!

I'm glad to have found Aquarium Advice. I'm fairly new to the hobby, and so I'm still finding new info and websites online. It's nice to see that there are regional forums here too. :)

I've got a 10 gallon freshwater tank (well, it's really my kids' tank...but guess who gets to do all the maintenance!) with 4 platies, an amano shrimp and a zebra snail. Plants are limited to the plastic and silk variety, plus a couple other decor items...including a Spongebob pineapple house (again, my kids' choice!).

I'm really enjoying keeping fish, and plan on a bigger tank (or tanks) eventually...ones where I get to pick the fish (might keep african cichlids)! I can definitely see myself with MTS in the not too distance future! LOL!

I probably won't post an awful lot for the next while, but will read lots to get a good sense of the community here.

mishi8 :D

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

mentallylost said:
How long has the 10 gallon been running?

Well, it was set up in early January and started cycling with fish (3 balloon mollies), which turned out to be a horrible experience. Despite frequent water changes to lower ammonia and nitrite levels, all three fish eventually died (end of February) and the cycle still wasn't complete!

At that point, I finished cycling without fish. Took a long time though as I got very high nitrite and nitrate readings early, which seemed to stall the cycle forever.

I have to say, what a difference in the health of these new fish that aren't being subjected to cycling! They have been active and healthy since day one. :)

So, to finally answer your question, the current tank set up has been up and running since beginning of March and these fish were added beginning of May.

Toirtis said:
Welcome to AA! I give you until the end of July before you are posting all about your new cichlid tank. :wink:

Give me at least until the end of August! Maybe I'll get a new tank for my birthday. :bday: I certainly can't afford one before then!

Back
Top Bottom