Hello 55g :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandmaner90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am not per say a new fish keeper but not an experienced one either. I am wanting to do a low-tech planted tank. Plan to use pool filter sand as substrate. Any and all suggestions welcome. Im picking up the tank tonight or tomorrow along with 2 50lb bags of Pfs to clean lol. Thank you in advance for any and all help!!

-Brandon

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, Brandon! Thanks for joining us and have fun! (Sorry, I am cannot be much of a help :))

PFS is good just rinse well. I put the sand in and a little water then plants and then fill up the tank. I set a dish down so my sand doesn't go all over as I fill the tank.

I ended up getting play sand instead the Pfs was really really fine grained. Play sand is a bit larger. Going to clean and setup substrate tomorrow. Only lights i have are the 2 24" ones that came with the starter kit so im pretty sure they won't grow anything lol.

Thanks! Tank is setup starting fish less cycle! Will introduce first fish next month if everything goes well!

image-3619898620.jpg

image-214846557.jpg

Fake plants will go once i get better lightning for real plants haha. Any advice and comments welcome on layout and stocking options.

Hi Brandon, welcome to the forum :) nice looking tank! Maybe some driftwood?

Yea I want some, just dont have spare cash. Only 1 fish store around here that isn't a "chain" store. And there drift wood is around 1.99 per lb. nice elephant nose :)! Also what are the worm/eel looking things in your album?

Yea I want some, just dont have spare cash. Only 1 fish store around here that isn't a "chain" store. And there drift wood is around 1.99 per lb. nice elephant nose :)! Also what are the worm/eel looking things in your album?

Thanks! That's my kuhli loach started out with 8 now i have 14 lol cool little guy's :)

I am having problems posting.. I try multiple times but nothing takes. Any suggestions why lol.

Back
Top Bottom