Hello AA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ice Man

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I am new to AA.
Just got 25g to upgrade from my 10g, freshwater of course. Will need some advice what fish to buy? In my 10g I got 1 zebra danio, 1 tiger barb, 1 painted glass barb, 1 glow fish, 1 angel fish and my all time favorite algae eater. I used to have at least 2 of each but they died. When I got my first tank 2 years ago I had no idea what I'm doing. Now after reading some literature, well I know just a bit.

Glad you found us here. Nice to see you are interested in the hobby.
Sorry to tell you, but that is not good stocking for a 10 gallon. Danios, glofish, and barbs are schooling fish and need to be in groups of 6 at least. If you do not keep them in proper schools, they get stressed and die early. Tiger barbs are notorious fin nippers and should not be kept with an angel. Angels get big and should not be kept in 10g or you will stunt his growth, if it hasn't been stunted already. What kind of algae eater? Almost none are fit for a 10 either.
Its good that you upgraded! Which of your fish are you going to add to the new tank? Honestly, you should add them all. Re-home the tiger barb though. They are nippy. Also, you need to figure out what your algae eater is. Chinese algae eater? Pleco?

Hi there.
Now I know that they are schooling fish. When I started my tank 2 years ago "expert" from my local fish store advised me to get three zebra danios to start with. Then, after consultation with with the same sales guy, I got two tiger barbs. I was never told they need to be in a group of at least 5. I should have paid more attention to it but at a time this tank was for my 4 year old son. In meantime I just fell in love with his fish and they became mine :) Other fish (glow fish, angel), and were all just a random purchase.
My algae eater is a gold Chinese algae eater.
I was going to keep angel, tiger barb and algae eater and move them to my new 25g tank. I am giving away my 10g to my neighbor.
For new tank I was thinking about getting couple of dwarf gourami, three American flag fish, 8 cardinal tetras. I would like to keep my angel and algae eater. What do you think about this set?
Thank you for your input.

Hi, IceMan, and welcome to AA! :welcome: I'm just curious, have you read about cycling (and/or fishless cycling) in the literature you have read? Cause, if you haven't, you might want to check some information that is available right here on AA: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html. Check it out before you move your fish into the new tank, and before you plan any additions. You and your fish will be glad you did. Good luck with your new adventure, here.

:flowers:Welcom to AA!!! I think your stocking is alright at the moment, but imo, NO to the Chinese alae eater. id rather eat the algae myself then let them into my tank. plus they get huge. also, the 25 may be to small for the angel. ive never kept one before. imo, get rid of the CAE and the angel. if you REALLy want it, shave off 2 cardinals. even then you may be stuck. JMO.

dwarf gouramis should be kept singularly IMO, unless its male female, or a bigger tank. american flag fish are great. but again, the angel and CAE are kinda iffy.

Hi there.
Now I know that they are schooling fish. When I started my tank 2 years ago "expert" from my local fish store advised me to get three zebra danios to start with. Then, after consultation with with the same sales guy, I got two tiger barbs. I was never told they need to be in a group of at least 5. I should have paid more attention to it but at a time this tank was for my 4 year old son. In meantime I just fell in love with his fish and they became mine :) Other fish (glow fish, angel), and were all just a random purchase.
My algae eater is a gold Chinese algae eater.
I was going to keep angel, tiger barb and algae eater and move them to my new 25g tank. I am giving away my 10g to my neighbor.
For new tank I was thinking about getting couple of dwarf gourami, three American flag fish, 8 cardinal tetras. I would like to keep my angel and algae eater. What do you think about this set?
Thank you for your input.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are a few problems with that. Tiger barbs are notoriously nippy and shouldn't be kept with an angel. Also, cae get really big. They also quit eating algae, get really aggressive, and attack other fish in the tank by sucking their slime coats off. I have had cae too, and they even found a way to attack my guppies. Cae are honestly a fish to avoid. You said he is your favorite though, so if you want to keep him, you could build your other stock around him, but it will be an issue to you try to keep him with your angel IMO. 29 gallons is typically considered the smallest tank size for an angel. Some people do keep them in 20 talls, but that is typically for breeding purposes, not as part of a community.
What are the dimensions of your 25 gallon? That will help figure out what can go in it. Honestly, having a tiger barb, angel, cae, plus other fish in there isn't a good idea at all IMO. Its all up to you, but I definitely don't recommend it.
All those fish need space to thrive. Tiger barbs get decently sized and are active, angels are territorial as are cae. You don't always see their full spectrum of behaviors when they are young, or when they are kept in small environment.
Btw, its really nice to you to give the other tank away. Way to be a good neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom