Hello! About me and a snail/filter question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So what to so about where I am and why I am here....I have spent a lot of time reading threads when I was researching things and have found so much good information from the posters on this forum! I am not new to aquaculture but after a 10 year break, when I started again a few years ago I felt new. So much had changed, so much to learn.

In my previous years I had many freshwater tanks: community tropical, semi-aggressive and aggressive tropical, and cold water ranging in sizes. I also had a good sized Koi pond. But to be honest, never heard of quarantining, cycling, medication, testing, etc until I asked for a tank for my birthday a few years back and started researching fish. I got two instead if one and started with the familiar, Beta (lost my Pretty Lady last year after a good 3 years enjoyment), Coryadora, Kissing Gourami, danio, and Tetra. Since I have set up more systems (still sticking with what I know, adding Angels, Barbs, Rasbora). I have made mistakes, mostly before I learned about QT practice and lost 17 fish in 24 hours including the one new one I dropped in my tank. But I have also grown.

I now own 2 QT tanks, one for observation/inverts and one for treatment/plants. I keep a back up heater on hand. Since adding the sponge filtration to my tanks i have had no difficulties maintains a stable cycle during a power outage or filter failure. Have successfully moved to another state with my fish twice only losing my last older danio in the process. Gotten my fish through a severe 8ppm ammonia spike when my first try plants died and drastically crashed my PH (from 7.5 to 6.6) on a well stocked tank. Successfully battled Ich and Columaris. And now I stock an emergency salt/med kit JIC (rather throw them away unused than not have it if I need it).

I am hoping to gain from this forum the confidence to move forward to species I am not as familiar with, a better understanding if new practices, and the benefit of the wisdom of others experiences because I am sure I will make more mistakes as I reacquaint myself with the hobby. I also am venturing back into a planted fish tank and honestly don't remember much about maintaining one. My previous plants were all low light floaters like hornwort and lily pads in the pond but I can't remember maintaining any of this. Right now I am working with java moss and fern, marimo balls, anubius, anacharis, and water sprite. Have up on Cambomba because my Cory's kept digging it up and got sick of replanting it, and killed temple plant, amazon sword, and crypto in my first attempts. Going to be picking up some frog bit in a month, just waiting for my aquatic plant store to propagate from what they got it. As a fish keep my aim is the fish, so I don't want a "planted tank" but a fish tank with plants. Enough to keep it low tech but still utilize my Nitrates, assist in cleaner water, and provide a more natural healthy environment for my fish. Down the road I intend to shut down my 26 when I move those fish to a larger tank, then I may use it as a true planted tank and try my hand at CO2 and a higher tech set up.

Now that you read that long winded mess :) a question. I sadly lost my ramshorn snail Shelly today as she crawled on the intake of my AC 200. I had just gotten a few more Ramshorns (red and brown) and have them in a 35 day QT until April 3rd. How can I stop this in the future, though about pantyhose but wondered what other advice was out there. I was also considering a mystery snail for my community tank which is run by a Aqueon QuietFlow 55 so worried same will happen there. I don't want to use a sponge on the intakes because I do not want to limit the flow and force the motor to work harder.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome in. I believe pre-filter sponges can also be used.

Edit - coarse sponge so flow is not impacted so much.

Filter Max III

I figure since they are so inexpensive I would give the Filter Max III a try. Saw a photo from someone who used it on an AquaClear, so I know it fits. Any opinions on this product?

If that works I am good on my Angel Tanks for the Ramhorns, still trying to find something for my Aqueon Quiet Flow in the small community tank. The Filter Max does not look like it would work on that filter. Really would like a mystery snail in there. I know they aren't the best clean up crew but with out a natural predator to keep the population down I really do not want Ramhorn in there. And the mysteries are kind of cool looking.

Honestly I never liked snails but since one hitch hiker survived my rigid plant QT process, the snails grew on me. :)

A pre filter sponge is all the same. They get the job done and keep your friends safe. Welcome to AA!!!

Well my "can't find a pre filter to fit the Aqueon" has been solved for me. Filter is making noise, every time that happens they poop out on me. So time to change over to another Aqua Clear. Started with Aqueon because they came with the tanks but have to admit IMO they really are not cost effective or efficient and poor longevity from my experience. I'd like to switch them all over to Fluval C series because that thing is a Rockstar but the AquaClears are a good second.

I see a mystery snail in my future :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom