Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DallasFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks for setting up this forum - looks like a great place to learn!

I have just gone through the newbie 10-gallon-fish-killing-extravaganza :censor: where luckily I had one hearty pleco survive who is now residing at my brothers house. The 10 gallon is now back in storage for a while.

After much reading on the Internet about cycling, ammonia, etc. I am about to start again, here's what I've come up with so far:

1. this time with a 55 gallon freshwater tank.

2. Rena Filstar Xp3 canister filter/heater.

3. Sand (specifically pool filter sand) rather than gravel this time, because I'm planning on having cory cats and a couple of loaches and i hear they like the soft stuff.

4. A couple hardy live plants tied to driftwood (LFS has them already "assembled" and in tanks).

5. Some sort of slate rock/cave thingy for pleco to play in.

6. I plan to put in the plastic frame of a garden-railroad sized caboose - because my den already has a train theme, and it would make it tie in very well. I'm planning to remove all metal from the caboose and just have the plastic shell.

Thanks again for this awesome forum!

It's been a long time since I'd done FW, but you've come to the right place....

welcometoaa.gif

Welcome!

Congratz on deciding to research before trying again. I hope we can arm you with the knowlege you need to suceed.

If you're thinking of using live plants, you may want to get an upraded light hood. 100 watts or more would give you more options in plants.

Welcome to the site! I like themes. If we give advice, we expect pics!

One more caution on using the train would be any detail stickers on it as the adhesives on those can leach toxins into the water. be sure to remove any and clean the area with vinegar and rinse well.

Also welcome to AA and good luck with the new tank. Just remember Patience is key.

Back
Top Bottom