Thanks for setting up this forum - looks like a great place to learn!
I have just gone through the newbie 10-gallon-fish-killing-extravaganza :censor: where luckily I had one hearty pleco survive who is now residing at my brothers house. The 10 gallon is now back in storage for a while.
After much reading on the Internet about cycling, ammonia, etc. I am about to start again, here's what I've come up with so far:
1. this time with a 55 gallon freshwater tank.
2. Rena Filstar Xp3 canister filter/heater.
3. Sand (specifically pool filter sand) rather than gravel this time, because I'm planning on having cory cats and a couple of loaches and i hear they like the soft stuff.
4. A couple hardy live plants tied to driftwood (LFS
has them already "assembled" and in tanks).
5. Some sort of slate rock/cave thingy for pleco to play in.
6. I plan to put in the plastic frame of a garden-railroad sized caboose - because my den already has a train theme, and it would make it tie in very well. I'm planning to remove all metal from the caboose and just have the plastic shell.
Thanks again for this awesome forum!