hello all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itchytickles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Found this site by searching the internet for fish forums... i just set up a new SW tank today using a 29gal tank i got from a friend. I am hoping to make a great aquarium like some of the ones i've seen on this forum. Right now i am letting the tank clear up from putting in the water. What i have is:

29gal tank
marineland eclipse 3 filter system
1-2 inches of crushed coral
a few pieces of coral

the previous owner gave me his coral rocks that have some algae on them and my local fish store told me its ok to put in there. is this true? also they told me i only need to let it cycle for 24hrs and then i can put some hearty fish such as tomato clowns in to start the cycle. will this be ok? i dont want to go spend money on fish and have them die because the tank isn't ready. my SG is measuring at 1.019 which seems to be right at the bottom end of my hydrometer's "ok" reading.

I am looking at lionfish however the fish store wants 70$ for one which seems kind of steep since petco (which i'de never buy from) sells them for 30-40 and the same goes for online stores.

I'm sure i will have a ton more questions and look forward to learning as much as possible about this fascinating hobby!

Back
Top Bottom