Hello all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bishka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my name is Linda and I live in the South of Scotland. We recently moved here and built a new pond to house our fish. When we were moving I found quite a few babies and did not want to put them into the big pond until it was more established and they had somewhere to hide. At present I have put the 4 sprats into a small aquarium, 18 litres with a filter pump. I am finding the nitrate is building up very quickly about every 2 days although I have also tried adding nitrate minus. Can anyone give me some advice, I have been feeding them sparingly and their size varies from 1 inch to around 2 1/2. :fish2::thanks:

Bishka said:
Hi, my name is Linda and I live in the South of Scotland. We recently moved here and built a new pond to house our fish. When we were moving I found quite a few babies and did not want to put them into the big pond until it was more established and they had somewhere to hide. At present I have put the 4 sprats into a small aquarium, 18 litres with a filter pump. I am finding the nitrate is building up very quickly about every 2 days although I have also tried adding nitrate minus. Can anyone give me some advice, I have been feeding them sparingly and their size varies from 1 inch to around 2 1/2. :fish2::thanks:

Welcome to AA :D

Is the tank cycled? What's your ammonia and nitrite readings? The best way to lower your nitrate is to do a PWC. You would want to keep it less than 40ppm. Preferably around 20ppm.

Welcome to AA!, I couldn't tell you anything about ponds or freshwater, but there are plenty of people on here that can!

rich311k said:
Welcome to AA! Change the water and a bigger tank would be much better.

Agree with getting a bigger tank. If the OP keeps the same stock and get a bigger tank, the nitrate build up would be slower, right?

Back
Top Bottom