Hello all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomorrowland

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New here, and very excited to become a part of an active aquarium forum. A little about me... My name is Summer, and I worked for five years at a local aquarium supply store until it unfortunately went out of business. I now have to drive almost an hour away for anything besides food and water supplies... It was quite discouraging and lead me to take a break from "active" aquarium care taking and I instead raised two easily maintained koi in a 120 gal tank for a few years. I just sold the complete set-up to a friend and am trying a community I haven't much personal experience with yet: semi-aggressive fish.

I currently have a 30 gal tank (running with a Penguin BIO Wheel 150 filter) that I am using to house my first three fish until I'm satisfied that my new 75 gal (that is running with two Penguin BIO Wheel 350's for extra filtration) has cycled sufficiently. The 30 gal tank is currently home to a Red-Tailed Black Shark, an African Brown Knife and a Grey Bichir / "Dinosaur Eel". The tank also has a few aquatic plants, several hiding places, and a ghost tube for the Knife. They are all new to me except the Bichir, as I have raised one before, although this one is quite shy in contrast to my last, preferring to hide amongst the river rock substrate at the bottom. I am extremely intrigued by the knife fish and am very interested in raising a Black Ghost Knife as well, although I have heard this can lead to problems when housed with an African Brown Knife. Any insight would be most helpful... I am planning on eventually housing them all in a 150 gal tank, when need be.

So far, the three seem to be getting along quite well. The Knife and Bichir came from the same tank and seem quite oblivious of each other. The Shark never bothers the Bichir either. The Shark and Knife spent some time chasing each other, no nipping or anything, but have now taken to opposite sides of the tank and mostly keep to themselves. The Knife is about 4" presently, the Bichir and Shark are each about 3". I cut a cube of frozen bloodworms in half and feed them one in the morning, when the Shark is more active, and one just after "lights out", when the Knife is more active.

I'm looking for a myriad of suggestions right now, first and foremost a list of possible tank mates for the trio and whether or not it would be best to add them while they're still in the 30 gal, or wait until after the move to the 75 gal. Insight on the BGK from those familiar would also be quite helpful. In addition, once the trio is moved, I will be looking to start a community of smaller fish in the 30 gal and am open to suggestions. Since the semi-aggressive fish seem to be a bit devoid of color, I'd be looking to start a tank of either tropical community fish, or African cichlids to spice things up.

It's a pleasure to meet you all and any insight would be most appreciated!

Welcome! Hope everyone here will help you out with all of the questions you have! :welcome:

I don't see a problem housing them in together at all. I keep fish that shouldn't go together and they do fine, except when they don't and I take them out :/

Back
Top Bottom