Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RNevers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just joined the forum my name is Reed Nevers and I'm here to learn more about how all this works. I've had freshwater tanks in the past and they were all succesful actually I still have one with my black moor Nemo living large!

I decided to go with a salt water because they are just so unique and will add to the decor of my home. So I'm here to learn from all of you.

I have 30 gallon tank cycling right now, its on its third week. It seems to be doing what its suppose to based upon what I read. I have 30 lbs of live rock in it now and thats it. I'm noticing an Ammonia spike and the phosphates are not high but they are noticable in the tank. I'm starting to see a bit of red slime on the top of my rock closest to the the lights but I guess that is normal during the process.

I used RO water and mixed in instant ocean salt to bring the salinity up to 1.264 at start up.

My questions to the forum is to reduce the phosphates during cycling can I do a water change or will that prolong the process? Also, I don't have my skimmer on yet should I start running that as well?

All help is appreciated

Thanks Reed

I don't know about salt water, but welcome to the forum & good luck with your new setup.

Welcome!
Nope you do not need to run a skimmer or the lights during a cycle. Also, I have heard that water changes will not bother the cycle. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom