I am new to the aquarium hobby and have been surfing this site for the last month or so. My kids have been pestering me to get an aquarium which was perfect for me as I've always wanted one. I am fairly cautious by nature and so have been doing research, but then I'll often decide I need to take some action and that's when I make mistakes...
So I finally bought my tank and stand. Then I put in an order at Dr. Foster and Smith since the kids were pressuring me to get a move on...
I got a 29Gallon tank and stand, planned for freshwater.
Purchased a 206 Fluval Filter and an AzooTitanium heater (I chose the titanium based on a friend's rec as he was concerned that heaters break a lot).
Have a Whisper airpump with the air check valve and tubing.
Got the Marineland LED
The to do list includes exchanging my outlet for a GFCI outlet and getting sand. I'm planning to do a cycle without fish and have bought my API Master Test Kit.
I have a couple of specific questions:
1. How large do people make their QT? I was hoping not to spend a ton for this, but it seems like I should have a fully outfitted QT for new fish. I'm wondering how people set theirs up.
2. Any comments on Glass vs Plastic thermometers?
3. Anything else I'm missing equipment wise? I was going to buy a Python or siphon kit for cleaning/water changes.
4. Eventually, I'll need stocking advice, but I didn't want to get ahead of myself.
5. Finally, I'm kind of regretting the Marineland LED
lighted hood since I haven't really done too much research on plants which I'd like to have as well.