Hello all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommaLoock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello to everyone! We just found a 29gallon tank with stand at a garage sale for $25. I knew it would take a bit to get it going, but I never imagined I'd be close to an extra $100 to get it set up. All it came with was the gravel which is pretty cool, parts of an undergravel filter, a broken pump, and a 50w heater. So now I'm trying to decide which is better and honestly less expensive to filter and aerate a freshwater tank properly. Do you need an air pump either way with an undergravel or power filter? I'm really looking forward to having a fish tank again, and the boys are super excited to get their fish, and I want to do everything right. Last time we killed about $60 worth of fish before we got it right. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning from all of you!

Hi, welcome to the forum :) no you don't need an air pump with your filter, I use to have one running in my tank but the noise drove me mad lol now it's just my quiet filter ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome Momma!

With an undergravel filter an air pump is necessary for it to work. With a hang on back power filter if it has decent flow you most likely won't need the air pump for extra aeration.

You're least expensive option is a power filter. They're easy to set up and use and can give you all he filtration you need for a 29. Get one hat can cycle all the water in your aquarium 2-3 times an hour. Good luck on your setup!

Sorry! I didn't read it correct thought you were referring to a airstone. Thanks for correcting me Z.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go with the power filter and a small air pump to run up to two decorations for the kids to enjoy. I've had an undergravel filter before and talk about tedious, but it was also a 75 gallon tank. I think the 29 is a better way to get started again :)

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom