Hello all..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hlspwn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all :)

Bought the kids an Interpet aquaverse 65 litre tank for Christmas as they wanted pets. Have been looking at fish with them for years. Started the tank in Jan, we have gravel substrate, few ornaments and a couple of plants and our bog wood (including heater\filter) . From the net learnt about fish less cycling, this site having one of the best guides I found. The tank already has a community of codepeds and ramshorn snails courtesy of the LFS. Sure they have came from the Java moss.

The snails have done a sterling job of cleaning the tank, went through some funny coloured algae, and all the brown muck off the bogwood. I think I did not soak it long enough, could not wait to put it in tbh.

Now we are literally at the end of the cycle, waiting to confirm two readings 24hrs apart of 0 amm, 0 nitrite ( testing api fresh water kit)

I just need a bit of advice on stocking levels?

We have hard water, so was thinking of

5 platies, 4 guppys, & 5 celestial Pearl Danios

Would this be over stocked? Are the CPD a bad idea for such a new tank?

Your help would be much appreciated : )

I'm getting "TaNKeD" : ]

Hi hlspwn:

Congratulations on getting the tank and on what appears to be a successful fishless cycle.

The fish you listed are all suited to hard water as far as I know. Five platies might be too many for a 65l tank, especially with other tankmates. Platies can grow to 2.5" when well cared for, so your tank could become quite crowded. If you have sufficient filtration and aeration, and your maintenance regime is good, it could be done, but it sounds to me like a lot of fish for a small aquarium.

Perhaps you could begin with the danios and guppies, and see how the tank looks and how well your filter is performing?

-Yorg

Hello all :)

Bought the kids an Interpet aquaverse 65 litre tank for Christmas as they wanted pets. Have been looking at fish with them for years. Started the tank in Jan, we have gravel substrate, few ornaments and a couple of plants and our bog wood (including heater\filter) . From the net learnt about fish less cycling, this site having one of the best guides I found. The tank already has a community of codepeds and ramshorn snails courtesy of the LFS. Sure they have came from the Java moss.

The snails have done a sterling job of cleaning the tank, went through some funny coloured algae, and all the brown muck off the bogwood. I think I did not soak it long enough, could not wait to put it in tbh.

Now we are literally at the end of the cycle, waiting to confirm two readings 24hrs apart of 0 amm, 0 nitrite ( testing api fresh water kit)

I just need a bit of advice on stocking levels?

We have hard water, so was thinking of

5 platies, 4 guppys, & 5 celestial Pearl Danios

Would this be over stocked? Are the CPD a bad idea for such a new tank?

Your help would be much appreciated : )

I'm getting "TaNKeD" : ]

Hi Yorg,

Thanks for the reply and the advice. The tank has defiantly finished the cycle. We will be fish shopping the weekend :) after big w\c night before.

I thought that many fish may be pushing it, did not realise the platies got so big. Always wanted danios since we started doing the tank, might look at the endlers guppies as I much prefer them, have to see what the kids like, as they keep reminding me the tank was for them :eek:

Back
Top Bottom