Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've sold my acei and replaced them with a syno cat and another cichlid. And I've started to take down my reef tank.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found out that the syno is one spot domino syno and the cichlid is a five barred cichlid.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

With cichlids always know what you have before you bring it home. Even if the LFS suggests it will work and they are in the same tank always do you research before you bring it home. I'm speaking from experience here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
With cichlids always know what you have before you bring it home. Even if the LFS suggests it will work and they are in the same tank always do you research before you bring it home. I'm speaking from experience here.

+1000000 to this. Research. Research. Research.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I will I assumed it would be fine because the guy who I bought them from has a tank in the store dedicated to peacock cichlids and fish that get along with peacocks and that tank is where the five barred cichlid came from. He is doing great despite the fact that he is less than half of the size of the fish in the tank he is only about 1" at most.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello All

Rule #1. Don't trust the LFS employees. Do your own research THEN see what they have to say.

Rule #2. Just because they have it in a tank together doesn't mean they will work on the long run. LFS stock the tanks for TEMPORARY housing. Example: my big box lfs stocks like 7 rainbow sharks in the same tank. In the home aquaria that would eventually end in a bloodbath.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

First thing I see is its a lake tanganyika species. I don't know a thing about them.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
Rule #1. Don't trust the LFS employees. Do your own research THEN see what they have to say.

Rule #2. Just because they have it in a tank together doesn't mean they will work on the long run. LFS stock the tanks for TEMPORARY housing. Example: my big box lfs stocks like 7 rainbow sharks in the same tank. In the home aquaria that would eventually end in a bloodbath.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Uggg I hate that store. I trust the employee because he is very knowledgeable on the subject of fish and he is working toward being a ichthyologist.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finntastic View Post
Uggg I hate that store. I trust the employee because he is very knowledgeable on the subject of fish and he is working toward being a ichthyologist.
Some advice might be spot on then outta the blue they'll come up with something else. "Trust" means double verify. Last fall I wanted a very beautiful trio of fish traded in from a breeder. Owner and lfs owner for maybe 30 years said they will be fine with my other fish. After deciding to find out myself, couldn't get a correct ID from the "name" they had, found they were very aggressive (with a breeding situation/trio) and would have likely killed the others in my tank, though 1 fish in the tank would have been ok, no breeding territory protection issue.

In one circumstance no problem but otherwise death would have been the out come. It is frustrating - SW tanks for me have been especially that way in shopping lately, since I am a noob there, 50/50 info from experienced lfs persons.

There is a vast number of niche fish and invert keepers with so many variables monster tanks to nano and pico. As for the degree in ichthyology, I am guessing ocean and lake fish focus and older info not focused on current hobby fish. In the end the job rests on your and my shoulders. Good to ask for more info and personal experiences. Frustrating none the less!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com