Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've kept bettas with rummies and cardinals with no issue in a 55. And that was with a bolivian ram in there as well.

Your mileage will vary with Bettas in a community. But I wouldn't rule it out. You have a 10g. If you really want a betta in the 50g then give it a try. Worse case is that you have to bring him back into the 10g.

I thing you MUST do is ensure that the water flow from your filter does not produce a strong current. That will most likely be the biggest prohibiting factor. Bigger tanks could/would/should require higher flow rate filters whether it be hob or canister. But you can get around that by using branching tubes for multiple PTS of input or diffusers or spray bars.

Neons are brightly colored, have been an active fish for me, and are fin nippers when not in a proper school.

I agree TMCR Exotics, bettas ought to be kept alone imo.

Also, yes it does depend on the fish's temperament. But you can't know the particular fish you are getting's temperament before you get it, can you?

You could also keep a mbuna in a community depending on the temperament. Do you think that's a good idea?

Look, beyond Angels, I'm not a ciclid person (is a mbuna a ciclid?) so I can't answer your question. However, from your tone I gather it was rhetorical any way.

Betta/neon pairs are fairly common and I stand behind what I said about it being a pairing taken on a case by case basis. And can be a solid option.

I appreciate that you did provide info that I hadn't considered. Bright colors. Great point. Neons are fin nippers. I haven't seen that, personally. They seem pretty peaceful. In the 10g there isn't much room to run so yes, they would behave rather subdued in a group of 5. In our 17g we had 10 and they did school nicely but but still, nothing like say a school of 10 danios.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, he already has the beta in question so he might already have an idea of this particular betta's temperament.

Also, he already has the beta in question so he might already have an idea of this particular betta's temperament.

Regardless anders is right.

There was a user on here that had a peaceful betta that one day turned sour and tried to kill all of its tankmates. Now it lives alone because it wants to kill everything. Behavior comes with age.

Yes mbuna are cichlids and are typically VERY territorial. As a juvenile they MIGHT work in a community but it certainly would not last forever. Same concept with bettas. It's just not feasible for long term.

Caleb

Regardless anders is right.

There was a user on here that had a peaceful betta that one day turned sour and tried to kill all of its tankmates. Now it lives alone because it wants to kill everything. Behavior comes with age.

Yes mbuna are cichlids and are typically VERY territorial. As a juvenile they MIGHT work in a community but it certainly would not last forever. Same concept with bettas. It's just not feasible for long term.

Caleb

Exactly.

Agreed! Idk why this is still being argued.

Probably because it's neither a 100% fail or success rate with bettas in a community. Some have had success and others didn't. I've been fortunate that the few bettas we had have all worked well with our tetras and Rams.

River cats had a large (200+ gal) planted tank with 4 male bettas if I recall correctly.

Couldn't help but to charm in. Bettas are loners, passive fishes. Betta may or may not get along with other community fish is not the point, imo. Just because it doesn't go on a killing spree doesn't mean it likes its tank mates, especially those that are zipping around at turbo speed (like Malawan cichlids). As human analogy. Imagine a quiet guy just like to be alone reading book, and having another rocker with heavy metal music in full blast occupying the same room ;). That's a torture! We do things that we like, but sometimes we ought to consider what our species of fishes are comfortable in. Besides, like one of our friend pointed out, big tank requires big filter, which creates big current to circulate the tank. Bettas like to have no current. I vote to keep your Betta in a 10g, and use your large tank for other community fishes.
Joe.

Couldn't help but to charm in. Bettas are loners, passive fishes. Betta may or may not get along with other community fish is not the point, imo. Just because it doesn't go on a killing spree doesn't mean it likes its tank mates, especially those that are zipping around at turbo speed (like Malawan cichlids). As human analogy. Imagine a quiet guy just like to be alone reading book, and having another rocker with heavy metal music in full blast occupying the same room ;). That's a torture! We do things that we like, but sometimes we ought to consider what our species of fishes are comfortable in. Besides, like one of our friend pointed out, big tank requires big filter, which creates big current to circulate the tank. Bettas like to have no current. I vote to keep your Betta in a 10g, and use your large tank for other community fishes.
Joe.

Precisely, even if they don't kill other fish doesn't mean they aren't stressed or that they are thriving.

Back
Top Bottom