Hello all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkm0310

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m new to the fish world. Just got my first 10 gallon set up. I’m really enjoying the biodiversity. I’ve got fish, ghost shrimp, one golden muster snail, and some pond snails that snuck in somehow.
I’m looking to plant more live plants but I’m looking for a good under-hood light. Any recommendations are appreciated. I need under-hood because I’ve got a 2 year old who would love to see what he could get into the tank of the hood was off. I have a Java fern that is starving for light so I have to make a decision quick.
I’m also interested in increasing the biodiversity with a crab, frog, and/or clam-type animal.
I’ve got commercial colored gravel.
That’s all. Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks,
Matt

IMG_9257.jpg

If you already got some LED's on your stock tank lid that should be enough for the java fern. If not just mount a cheap LED light strip under the lid. I've grown java fern this way. Make sure you add a liquid fertilizer like Thrive once a week.

Thanks king fisher. It’s got two led strips. 1.5 watts is marked on one, so I’m assuming that’s only 3 watts total. From what I read, I need 10 watts minimum in a 10 gallon for even low light plants. Don’t know if it’s true, but the grass I have on the bottom right of the picture (I forgot what kind it is) is pretty much dead. I’m assuming lack of light.
I put in some root tabs. What is in the liquid fertilizer that isn’t being created by fish waste?
Thanks,
Matt

I'm not an expert by no means on lights. Just my personal experience with low light plants and LED's. A member here named ZxC is very knowledgeable and could weigh in on more detail about LED lighting and low light plants. I know alot of grass/carpet plants need a high light. Thrive has micro and macro nutrients and also contains iron and phosphate. The plants can actually absorb them from the water column.

Back
Top Bottom