Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all aquatic animal or plant lovers

New to the site.

So moved to ILL about 9months ago, then we had our annual flood (it was bigger than normal) I live about a half mile from the river and had 2 hatching Red-Ears in my yard. So I collected them and tried to get a local wildlife person to relocate them. After about a week of waiting I decided to keep them, and those little guys have rekindled my love for aquatic life.

So got the biggest cheapest container i could find( a clear rubbermade storage thing) then all the lights and a huge internal filter. Over the past months I've been trying to replicate a stream/river system. So I've bumped the water up from about 5gals to 35gals after the turtles got to 3-4 inchs. Also wasn't thrilled by my water movement so got a wave-maker to help maintain a good flow, which they seem to enjoy. Everything is going good, been keeping up on weekly 10%water changes. Have a variety of food: pellets, shrimp, insects and veggies. No signs of health issues or stress so doing something right

Now recently I started adding semi-aggressive fish into the mix and so far all are playing nice. Was worried the turtles would bully, but only the exploratory nip happen(both turtles and fish) All now seem to hunt together. The fish will grow faster than the turtles so hopefully only the feeder fish will be the only ones that have to worry

I know that this rubbermade paradise will not be able to house them long, so I started planning out a 210Gal plywood aquarium. What have i gotten myself into hahaha. Well this is kinda long but any help or advise on housing turtles and predatory fish will be great

ukejoe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow, that sounds like a project! Hope to see some pictures!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Krissycakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com