Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
What kind of filter do u have ?
I have a marineland 250 for my 20 gal. Keeps the tank really clean.
I think it's 250 size b came with the kit . It doesn't move very much water . But the bowl I'm putting them i set up a tetra wisper air powered filter.
__________________

__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Coryluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Hi and welcome! I don't currently have a bio-wheel filter but for years I had a Marinland Eclipse 12 system that included a bio wheel filter system. The biowheel itself is simply a place for the beneficial bacteria to live that supply the biological filtration. The mechanical filtration is provided by the filterpad. Of course the beneficial bacteria can live there too, but sadly get discarded when you change cartridges, hence the biowheel which doesn't get changed. Don't let your biowheel dry out and don't ever clean it. It should stay relatively clean. I had that tank running for 8 years and never once cleaned the biowheel. Also, no matter the filter, heavier debris will settle to the bottom of the tank. A lot will get sucked up in the filter, but we all have debris that needs to be cleaned in the bottom of the tank. Hence the ever popular "gravel vac". That said many of us buy filters that are approximately rated 2x our tank sizes. In my case I have a 29 gallon tank and an Aquaclear 50 (50 gallon size) filter. Some with my size tank use an Aquaclear 70. For me the 50 has been a good match for 29 gallons. Most of us would rather have too much filtration than not enough. If you buy a larger filter make sure it has a way to control the flow. You sometimes need to take it down a step.
__________________

__________________
Coryluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
Hi and welcome! I don't currently have a bio-wheel filter but for years I had a Marinland Eclipse 12 system that included a bio wheel filter system. The biowheel itself is simply a place for the beneficial bacteria to live that supply the biological filtration. The mechanical filtration is provided by the filterpad. Of course the beneficial bacteria can live there too, but sadly get discarded when you change cartridges, hence the biowheel which doesn't get changed. Don't let your biowheel dry out and don't ever clean it. It should stay relatively clean. I had that tank running for 8 years and never once cleaned the biowheel. Also, no matter the filter, heavier debris will settle to the bottom of the tank. A lot will get sucked up in the filter, but we all have debris that needs to be cleaned in the bottom of the tank. Hence the ever popular "gravel vac". That said many of us buy filters that are approximately rated 2x our tank sizes. In my case I have a 29 gallon tank and an Aquaclear 50 (50 gallon size) filter. Some with my size tank use an Aquaclear 70. For me the 50 has been a good match for 29 gallons. Most of us would rather have too much filtration than not enough. If you buy a larger filter make sure it has a way to control the flow. You sometimes need to take it down a step.
Ya I just bought the kit when I could of bought a blank tank and added everything myself and saved money because the heater this came with sucked so I got one that autos shuts off. Also thanks for the input on the bio wheel it seems like an awesome invention.

Question say the power goes out what should I do with the wheel? I'm saving up for a battery back up but untill then.
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Coryluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
When I had to take my biowheel out for a while I'd just put it in a zip lock bag with a little water and lots of air. You need to watch the temp though. A short outage should not be too much of a problem. Long power outages are hard on any fish keeper. That's a whole other detailed and complicated topic that can include a battery air pump, blankets, and those hand warmer heat packs among other things.
__________________
Coryluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
When I had to take my biowheel out for a while I'd just put it in a zip lock bag with a little water and lots of air. You need to watch the temp though. A short outage should not be too much of a problem. Long power outages are hard on any fish keeper. That's a whole other detailed and complicated topic that can include a battery air pump, blankets, and those hand warmer heat packs among other things.
My biggest problem is keeping my water cool enough my apartment is freezing but the water is around 74
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Coryluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
My biggest problem is keeping my water cool enough my apartment is freezing but the water is around 74
I'm not sure I understand. What temperature do you want your water to be? Does you heater allow you to set the temperature, or is is "preset" to a certain temperature? Like many things the exact temperature, within reason, is not as important as a steady temperature with gradual rather than sudden changes.
__________________
Coryluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post

I'm not sure I understand. What temperature do you want your water to be? Does you heater allow you to set the temperature, or is is "preset" to a certain temperature? Like many thing the exact temperature within reason is not as important as a steady temperature with gradual rather than sudden changes.
I want my water around 70-72 it has a dial and shuts off at a reached temperature the problem lies with my window AC unit in my apartment.

But my longfin zebra apparently had babies and idk how to save them. They are hiding in the large gravel I have .
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Coryluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
I want my water around 70-72 it has a dial and shuts off at a reached temperature the problem lies with my window AC unit in my apartment.

But my longfin zebra apparently had babies and idk how to save them. They are hiding in the large gravel I have .
I've had a tank with no A/C through the summer. Of course I had fish that liked it a little warmer than 70 and an acrylic tank, so that helped (acrylic insulates to the point that those stick on thermometers are totally useless). If you really need to lower the temp by just a few degrees you can buy a small clip on or small desk fan to cool the aquarium.

I've never had fry so do not have advice other than to wish you the best. You never know, sometimes they make it under the worst conditions.
__________________
Coryluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post

I've had a tank with no A/C through the summer. Of course I had fish that liked it a little warmer than 70 and an acrylic tank, so that helped (acrylic insulates to the point that those stick on thermometers are totally useless). If you really need to lower the temp by just a few degrees you can buy a small clip on or small desk fan to cool the aquarium.

I've never had fry so do not have advice other than to wish you the best. You never know, sometimes they make it under the worst conditions.
The clip on fan is a good idea! Not sure how that would work with the lid on though
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Coryluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
The clip on fan is a good idea! Not sure how that would work with the lid on though
It doesn't need to clip to the tank, just something near and aim at the tank. Any small size fan that you can aim at the tank will do.
__________________

__________________
Coryluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.