Hello :-) already posted this in the wrong place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loafingstone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to fish keeping and set up my tank a few weeks ago. I've followed all the shop recommendations and they have been very helpful. I have 3 mollies and some live plants. Everything was fine until I found a snail, and then another and them another. The plant must have been infested with the things. I am picking them out one by one having taken the plants out and put it ins bucket of water. Any rescue plans for my tank and plants greatly appreciated! Ps should I be very cross with the shop or is this a genuine error?

I'm new to fish keeping and set up my tank a few weeks ago. I've followed all the shop recommendations and they have been very helpful. I have 3 mollies and some live plants. Everything was fine until I found a snail, and then another and them another. The plant must have been infested with the things. I am picking them out one by one having taken the plants out and put it ins bucket of water. Any rescue plans for my tank and plants greatly appreciated! Ps should I be very cross with the shop or is this a genuine error?
It's a common problem with pet shops to have snail-infested plants. It's very hit-or-miss unless you get your plants from a reliable place. What size tank is it? What type of snail is it? Pictures?

Hope I helped!

How big is your tank?

Snails can be a godsend, or a huge menace. A picture is worth a thousand words!

There are some fish (Clown Loaches come to mind) that love to eat snails, However, they need warmer water and lots of room, and are best kept in groups of 3 or more. I wouldn't recommend it in less than a 40 gallon at the minimum.

Some people "bleach dip" their plants in a weak bleach+water mixture to kill any snails. Personally, I know there is a snail or two alway sin my tank, but they've never become a problem. Sometimes they breed like rabbits and die off when they out-compete eachother.

just stop feeding as much,the population will go down. and nah,it happens all the time

are these snails eating your plants? cuz many of the snails coming in on plants are beneficial

It's a 100 litre tank and I think that is 20 odd US gallons although I could be wrong. I'll post a pic soon but at the moment there is nothing in apart from 3 lonely and bored looking mollies. I think they miss the plants. I prefer real plants but am tempted to get a plastic one short term until i get these snails out. I heard about dipping the plants in bleach weak bleach but just thought some bleach is bound to be left behind and kill my fish ?

Ps snails look like a very light red colour and very small. At the moment I can't find them but them will be on the glass in the morning.

Merged your two threads and deleted the other.

Welcome to AA! :)

Back
Top Bottom